How to enable SMB Spotlight support?

gegtor

Explorer
I see that after 3 years my suggestion was added https://jira.ixsystems.com/browse/NAS-100120?filter=-2

Now that TrueNAS 12.0 is out how would I go about enabling this?

From what I understand I need Elasticsearch instance and set it up in aux parameters and then enable spotlight per share

Code:
[global]
    spotlight backend = elasticsearch
    elasticsearch:address = localhost
    elasticsearch:port = 9200

[share]
    spotlight = yes

And what else do I need?

volothamp

Explorer
Good question

Isn't spotlight on SMB working already? apparently it should :)

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Good question

Isn't spotlight on SMB working already? apparently it should :)
Minimal search using finder works. Samba in TrueNAS-core is compiled with the elasticsearch backend, but this requires additional configuration (setting up an elasticsearch server (like diskover) to index the SMB server, and then configuring samba to perform pass along spotlight protocol queries to the elasticsearch server). Earlier versions of spotlight support relied on gnome-tracker, which isn't as scalable.

rainbow

Cadet
Hi,
I have installed truenas 12.0 but seems that the build of samba 4.12.7 has not spotlight enabled (checked with smbd -b). Is it correct? thank you

volothamp

Explorer
Any news on this?

I'm still on latest FreeNAS, but not even a simple search works with SMB

kapitainsky

Dabbler
Maybe close than ever to put it to rest and enjoy searching. We think we are on the right path to fix it. Ticket has been raised but to help with its visibility please login to jira and vote for this issue.

Alex_L

Cadet
Reactions: cap

Alex_L

Cadet
So only for Scale and not for Core? .....
Looks like that might be the case. This thread indicates that might not be the case (see first post), but presumably they're separate repos now and it's more a config thing rather than using the same Samba source.

Interestingly, the issue he created mentions CORE - which was accepted - and the linked issue (my third link above - 120532) is the subsequent issue created. [edit: ergo - the solution may work for both]

I don't know if you've a particular investment in CORE, but I see you've a G8 microserver like me. I spent an eternity trying to install scale fresh from a USB - to no avail. BUT I managed to get it done by doing an in-place upgrade from CORE to SCALE, which worked flawlessly, if that helps [edit: once the fix is released].

I've now my Gen8 and a custom built machine, both running SCALE. Now I need to sit down and work out how to get replication working if I keep one machine at home and another at one of my family's house. Firewalls! But that's a task for some free time over Christmas :)

Henning Kessler

Contributor
Hi @Alex_L,
I really need to update my infos there. The G8 Micro is history. I am running a TrueNAS Mini currently as my private machine but I have bigger ones that I managed for my clients. And one of them asks me once per week about Spotlight integration ;-).... Migrating to Scale would be big change for me as I heavily rely on jails for different services...

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
At least in the past @anodos has repeatedly confirmed that they aim for feature parity of SMB in both CORE and SCALE. If they add an app for SCALE but do not officially publish anything for CORE I won't mind. As long as smbd can do it, we (the community) will make it work with Elastic in a jail. I have the guy responsible for the Elastic integration of the Neos CMS right here in the next room :wink: