Fatal trap 1 : privileged instruction fault while in kernel mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

huberte

Explorer
[Fixed]Fatal trap 1 : privileged instruction fault while in kernel mode

:eek:

This morning, I saw this :

Reboot : Bad disk on SATA1 (SMART) says BIOS.

Cleaning the motherboard rebooting ok.

zpool scrub shows no error (20 % done)

Stephens

Patron
If your BIOS said the disk is bad due to SMART, I'd worry less about doing a scrub and more about getting a SMART report so you can figure out what's tripping errors. Because I'm over cautious with things like this (you do, after all, only have RAID-Z1), I might even unplug all the working drives. I wouldn't want anything touching them while you have no failure recovery. I'd boot from a flash drive containing something that'll report SMART information (like Ultimate Boot CD). I would not be back into FreeNAS until I resolved my SMART situation to my satisfaction. Scrub finds a lot, but it isn't the be all end all.

huberte

Explorer
If your BIOS said the disk is bad due to SMART, I'd worry less about doing a scrub and more about getting a SMART report so you can figure out what's tripping errors. Because I'm over cautious with things like this (you do, after all, only have RAID-Z1), I might even unplug all the working drives. I wouldn't want anything touching them while you have no failure recovery. I'd boot from a flash drive containing something that'll report SMART information (like Ultimate Boot CD). I would not be back into FreeNAS until I resolved my SMART situation to my satisfaction. Scrub finds a lot, but it isn't the be all end all.

I did what you suggested.

it's the reallocated sector count :

http://pastebin.com/BUK70562

Should I replace the disk ? should I try Seatools or is it useless ?

thanks

ByteTamer

Dabbler
The reallocated sector count alarm is one of the best indicators of a disk drive on the verge of failing. I would replace it immediately. It is not worth trying to save it with any disk drive tool. Something inside the drive is going seriously wrong for the internal drive firmware to move data to a new sector. The alarm is telling you it has moved one too many sectors and is running out of space to do it much longer. The hard drive has a limited amount of space set aside to accept reallocated data. Once that is gone, your drive will lose data the next time it tries to reallocate a sector.

huberte

Explorer
Thanks both of you.

did it today, all the process went fine.

paleoN

Wizard
I would take the time and do a long SMART test on all of your drives, including the new replacement.

Not only did you have over 3000 reallocated sectors, but you also had:

199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count 0x003e 200 088 000 Old_age Always - 5402

Maybe that was just from the failing drive. It's also commonly from a bad cable, loose connection or a problematic sata port. If you see it increasing you have a problem that needs to be fixed.

huberte

Explorer
I would take the time and do a long SMART test on all of your drives, including the new replacement.

Which tools should I use ? the one include in freenas or one in ubcd ?

Status
Not open for further replies.