SOLVED Fatal Trap 12 during kernel process

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaversjr

Cadet
All,

This is what I'm running on this NAS I am trying to build from an old HP Pavilion p6630f.

HP Pavilion p6630f (Was originally running WIN7 ULTIMATE SP1)
Iona MB
· Manufacturer: MSI
· Form factor: microATX - 24.4 cm (9.6 inches) x 24.4 cm (9.6 inches)
· Chipset: Intel H57 Express
· Memory sockets: 4 x DDR3
· Front side bus speeds: 2.5 GT/s DMI
· Processor socket: LGA1156
Intel Rapid Storage Technology (through BIOS not configured/configured for RAID 5 with Parity)
Intel Core i3 550 processor
  • Operating speed: Up to 3.2 GHz
  • Number of cores: 2
  • Socket: 1156
  • Bus speed: DMI (Direct Media Interface) - 2.5 GT/s
4GB Kingston Value RAM (KVR13N9S8HK2/8 GB kit - Won't recognize the other 4GB stick)
4 WD 2TB HDD's (NEW - 2WD Red, 2WD Green)
1000W ANTEC Power Supply
4GB SanDisk USB (for FreeNAS Software) (Wiped, Killed, Loaded)
FreeNAS 9.1.2.9 Release x64

I can get the system to boot from the USB. When it does, I am presented with 5 boot options and not the 7 I have seen in the video tutorials. Within a split second the system begins to boot FreeNAS software, so I can't select any of the 5 boot options. All looks well but system errors out with a fatal trap 12 error. A cursor is available to input command data. I tried. No help. I Reboot. Same error. Even if I manage to select one of the 5 options made available during the initial boot, the system still hangs with the fatal trap 12 error.

Have seen other fatal trap 12's in the forum, but I have not seen any that match mine.

See error below:

Mounting local file systems:.
kernel trap 12 with interrupts disabled
Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode
cpuid = 3; apic id = 05
fault virtual address = 0x60b148
fault code = supervisor read data, page not present
instruction pointer = 0x20: 0xffffffff8085c00c
stack pointer = 0x28: 0xffffff8000261a60
frame pointer = 0x28: 0xffffff8000261aa0
code segment = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type0x1b
= DPL0, pres 1, long 1, def32 0, gran 1
processor eflags = resume, IOPL = 0
current process = 11 (idle: cpu3)
[ thread pid 11 tid 100006 ]
Stopped at callout_tickstofirst + 0x10c: movl 0x10 (%rdx), %r12d
db>

So, I have enough power, 4 good hard disk drives, and a working processor. I have no reason to think the new RAM is bad.

Should I get a new motherboard? New usb memory stick? If a new motherboard will do the trick using what I already have, send me your recommendations based on my current hardware. Same for the memory stick. If you see something else that sends up a red flag, let me know so I can apply/find a fix or shop for another solution.

Thanks

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Umm.. you're what we call a "soup sandwich".

That's not server-grade hardawrwe, your RAM isn't being detected properly, and your RAM isn't even the minimum for FreeNAS. So why would you even expect this to work? You are literally doing what we don't recommend (because we already know it often doesn't work) and you are posting asking what's wrong.

If you want to know what hardware we recommend I've already done that work. Read the stickies that have been written.

My 1999 Daewoo Nubira wont go past 30 with me and my boyfriend in the car and I do not know why. I wish people would read a little before posting specs. It adds to unnecessary form bloat. We need an iq test, and a post with a line on it saying you need to be at least this high to use this forum. We need a section with training wheels on it for those who keep asking the same questions over and over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.