F3 to test thumbdrive from NAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

ExNought

Cadet
Hey there,
firstoff I am not used to working with any kind of linux and am happy I got this to work ... since now nobody keeps reading this I can get to my point:

I have 2 thumbdrives with 1 TB and 2 TB. Yes, TERABYTE ... Since this is ridicioulus I want to know if this is correct (well ...) and since these are bought from asia I don't want to use them with a Windows system until I know they are at least semi legit (duh ...).

As some may know with Windows there is h2testw, which can't be used with Linux. So I want to use F3, but fail at getting to discover the drives.
I also read that NTFS is not really supported.

So:
How do I get the path to the thumbdrives (they are connected to the hardware and I am able to see them in the GUI)? And how can I reformat them to a filesystem more usable with FreeNAS (they are "empty" so everything on them can be deleted)?

Thanks for your help in advance!

ExNought

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
firstoff I am not used to working with any kind of linux and am happy I got this to work
You're still not used to Linux because FreeNAS is not Linux. It's FreeBSD.

I have 2 thumbdrives with 1 TB and 2 TB. Yes, TERABYTE ... Since this is ridicioulus I want to know if this is correct (well ...) and since these are bought from asia I don't want to use them with a Windows system until I know they are at least semi legit (duh ...).
Honestly, I'd be more worried about the possibility of them being 128MB (yes, Mega) flash drives with hacked firmware that pretends the drive is larger and just silently drops writes or writes in circles.

How do I get the path to the thumbdrives (they are connected to the hardware and I am able to see them in the GUI)?
They don't have paths if they're not mounted. They're just devices - daX, as you can see in the GUI (or with camcontrol devlist in the console).

ExNought

Cadet
You're still not used to Linux because FreeNAS is not Linux. It's FreeBSD.

... well ... ok, mistake on my site ^^

Honestly, I'd be more worried about the possibility of them being 128MB (yes, Mega) flash drives with hacked firmware that pretends the drive is larger and just silently drops writes or writes in circles.

They don't have paths if they're not mounted. They're just devices - daX, as you can see in the GUI (or with camcontrol devlist in the console).

Yes, thats what's why I got those in the first place (a buddy of mine bought them and keeps saying they are legit ...), but additional to them probably being pretty small, I am worried there is something on them (maybe even malware inside the controller ...) so I choose to take minimal risk I can have when accessing them ;)

Well ... after spending some more time I got the 2TB thumbdrive to mount ... now I mentioned I need to compile F3 ... that's when I decided to just stick the damn thing into my windows rig (there are some missing dependencies and apt-get doesn't seem to work either). Now h2testw is running and writing 256GB on it (if it is that big, I think it will be 2TB ... who would make this expensive hardware if he wants to scam ppl after all ;)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
(there are some missing dependencies and apt-get doesn't seem to work either)
That's because FreeBSD doesn't have apt-get - and you'd need to do this in a jail, since FreeNAS doesn't allow for random software to be installed directly, which complicates things.

Status
Not open for further replies.