External Nextcloud download speed very slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

random9

Cadet
Hi all,

before describing the problem, here's the setup:

FreeNAS-11.1-U2 with a Nexcloud jail that is reachable outside via port forwarding. Only accessible via https.

Everything works fine, except the download speed when outside of the local network. Internally I get about 50 MB/s. Downloading a nextcloud file from a remote location always limits the speed at exactly 1.10 MB/s. However when measured, the upload speed of my internet connection where the server is located averages about 15 MB/s.

I already tried installing a owncloud jail and also tried using http. However the same phenomenon of the download speed being 1.10 MB/s occurs.

Is the download speed limited in apache, the jail or anywhere else limited by default? Any idea what could be causing this or how to debug would be highly appreciated.

garm

Wizard
What bandwidth do your ISP claim to deliver? And what unit are you using? Megabit (Mbps) or Megabyte (MBps)?

random9

Cadet
What bandwidth do your ISP claim to deliver? And what unit are you using? Megabit (Mbps) or Megabyte (MBps)?

I'm talking about Megabyte. The ISP claims to deliver 50 down and 17 up. Speedtest measures about 45 down and 15 up.

garm

Wizard
So, your internet connection is 400/136 Megabits/s? Those are odd numbers. ISPs usually cap their plans on good marketable numbers like 500/100 or 250/100. What kind of hardware is it? Fiberoptic?

random9

Cadet
So, your internet connection is 400/136 Megabits/s? Those are odd numbers. ISPs usually cap their plans on good marketable numbers like 500/100 or 250/100. What kind of hardware is it? Fiberoptic?
Yes, it was of the first optical fiber contracts 1&1 offered for businesses.

garm

Wizard
The early fiber providers in Sweden used to split a single connection in several segment, the result would be that a single download could never saturate the connection. Do you have access to a university fpt server or something else that can provide high bandwidth and do a single file transfer to test your actual bandwidth?

Status
Not open for further replies.