External drive cages?

otpi

Contributor
Shower thought: Maybe this is silly, but are there any external hdd cages out there with backplanes? Like a JBOD server chassis, but smaller without its own power supply etc. Something I could bolt on to my existing server and connect using HBA. Expanding a home NAS without actually buying a whole 2/3/4U JBOD, or a new specialized storage chassis?

melloa

Wizard
but smaller without its own power supply

Are you running the power to the HDDs from the server?

connect using HBA.

Also plugged to the server and using extra long cables?

Have you thought about upgrading your HDDs with bigger ones?

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Silverstone makes a couple of external multi-bay units, but the problem is they're ridiculously expensive for what they are ($150+ for four bays) - a surplus enterprise DAE shelf is a far better value in terms of dollars per bay.

otpi

Contributor
Have you thought about upgrading your HDDs with bigger ones?
I'm not running out of space, yet... But that is always an option. I was just curious if this was a product that existed. Just in case I'd want to increase the number of hdds in an existing chassis, labgore style.

Are you running the power to the HDDs from the server?
Also plugged to the server and using extra long cables?
Yes, that was the intention. Standard sas cable length should suffice.

Silverstone makes a couple of external multi-bay units, but the problem is they're ridiculously expensive for what they are ($150+ for four bays) - a surplus enterprise DAE shelf is a far better value in terms of dollars per bay.
I have seen those, and I agree. I thought those silverstone cages didn't have backplanes and where using sata?

I have an unused 2u 12 bay (w./redundant 750W psu). I could add the 12 bay backplane and drive cage to my current setup, or move my current into the 2U and bolt on the two 4 bay units i currently have for a total of 20 (all connected using sff-8087).

It's just a thought experiment for now... Meanwhile I'll be looking for some surplus enterprise gear, as one does.