Exposing files in TrueNAS Scale to a Docker-based file indexer? (sist2)

victorhooi

Contributor
I'm interested at installing a file indexing daemon, sist2, on TrueNAS Scale:

This indexes files to a ElasticSearch instance. It is available as a Dockerfile, (and I assume ElasticSearch could also be installed in Docker).

My question is - what's the best way to expose my files on TrueNAS Scale to the indexer, assuming we run it in Docker?

And any tips for setting up the sist2/ElasticSearch Docker containers?

victorhooi

Contributor
Alternatively, the sist2 author does provide native x64 binaries as well - I assume you could run that natively on TrueNAS Scale but I assume that's an anti-pattern?

ornias

Wizard
Hostpath mount would work just fine, assuming your permissions are right....

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
So you could run a docker container with sist2.... then mount the datasets you want indexed. Similarly, it could be done with a VM. Try both paths and then see what the roadblocks are.

ornias

Wizard
@morganL I think we should stop talking about mounting "datasets" when talking SCALE.
Besides the IXvolumes, which are something handles in the background and PVC's, which currently aren't end-user-exposed anyway... there is no "mounting datasets" and people might get confused with how BSD jails actually mounted datasets. ;-)

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
@morganL I think we should stop talking about mounting "datasets" when talking SCALE.
Besides the IXvolumes, which are something handles in the background and PVC's, which currently aren't end-user-exposed anyway... there is no "mounting datasets" and people might get confused with how BSD jails actually mounted datasets. ;-)

Thanks @ornias , for this type of application, is a read-only PVC or "mount" the hook that is missing or do you think it would be necessary to add sist2 to the SCALE software. I note that sist2 doesn't describe it self as mature and hence would prefer it is treated as an add-on application (or VM).

The developers note has this section....which refers to mounting the SCALE storage: https://www.truenas.com/docs/hub/scale/dev-notes/#host-path-volumes

Last edited:

ornias

Wizard
Thanks @ornias , for this type of application, is a read-only PVC or "mount" the hook that is missing or do you think it would be necessary to add sist2 to the SCALE software. I note that sist2 doesn't describe it self as mature and hence would prefer it is treated as an add-on application (or VM).
I was refering only about not calling it "dataset mounts" because it's mostly just folders that are mounted (from a user perspective). Not suggesting this app should be added...
I think I was using too much dev jargon in my responseand thats where the misunderstanding comes from.

Anyhow, in this case the user would use a hostPath and NOT a PV(c)