Experience with SOGo groupware

ChrisRJ

Wizard
Triggered by a post from @Patrick M. Hausen I recently had a look at the SOGo groupware and it seems interesting. My use-case would be for a small number of people (less than 10) as a replacement for Outlook 365. Any thoughts and/or experiences? I would host it locally on XCP-ng (or less likely on ESXi 6.5). External access, if any, would be via OpenVPN and the VM would be on a DMZ VLAN (pfSense) with no access to the internal network.

Thanks!

AbsolutIggy

Dabbler
Interesting - I had come across SOGo a while ago, but never used it. I'm looking for something similar, and I'd be interested to hear about your experience..

Something similar, which I haven't tested either: https://mailcow.email/

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
We use it for the entire office. But on Linux - the FreeBSD port frequently does not work. I.e. the underlying GNUstep framework crashes for some reason, the server delivers an empty page, nobody in the community can help, because "works on Linux" :frown:
But when it works, it's great.

Edit: SOGo communicates with the mail services via SMTP and IMAP. You can run the frontend in a comparably small Linux VM and connect it with your mailserver on your favourite platform - FreeBSD and ZFS in our case - and not change your existing mail setup at all.

Last edited:

ornias

Wizard
This thread is super interesting, I was just looking at a good groupware solution that would work nicely with a reverse proxy/ingress to be added to TrueCharts next month :D

What I like is the fact it accepts authentication headers from your reverse poxy/auth solution (and actually has a feature to disable logout in these cases), it's also "container native", something that annoys the fuck out for me from companies like Nextcloud. I think it would enable a good micro-service basis for groupware :)