Cant not connect to VPN or can not connect to jail connected to VPN

OK, Im done ripping out my hair over this and am now officially seeking help...;

Im on a fairly fresh install of TrueNAS 12.0All Im trying to do is build a jail with transmission and OpenVPN to PIA (Private Internet Access)... AND still be able to actually use Transmission...
Ive created transmission jail and added OpenVPN (this works if Jail is set up with VLAN and NAT... but once connected to VPN, I can no longer connect locally)...
Ive done the same thing assigning the IP on my network (this causes OpenVPN to apparently force close immediately after starting...

Ive created a VM from Ubuntu hoping JUST to get this to work... however, same issue: as soon as VPN is connects, i can not connect locally (TrueNAS root can ping the VM, but nothing else on network can...)

I will state, the one weird thing i have setup outside of vanilla is a Unifi network with the TrueNAS on a VLAN (all of my IoT/everything except like normal use laptops/cell phones are on the VLAN... guests and regular use stuff stays on main LAN, not the VLAN...scopes are : LAN: 192.168.1.X, VLAN is 192.168.2.X

Any help is appreciated, and I am happy to provide more info if needed....

Not solved... BUT, for now disregard...

It actually seems to have more to do with my network configuration than it does FreeNAS in any way (or... so far)...

If i move the unit to the LAN, it works as it should with the VPN connected...

TYz

Cadet
Hi,

I have two Transmission jails currently up and running (one for downloading and one for uploading). I set them both up about 3 weeks ago, so this guide still works really well.

I followed this guide here:

Personally I am using IPVanish I so I cant say if the PIA links are still current. I would assume they are though.

I am not 100% sure, but I think the "Step 4: Configure IPFW to ensure Transmission connects only via VPN " section might allow you to edit the ipfw.rules to work for your use case.

Good luck!