Expansion Question

gt2416

Patron
This has probably been asked numerous times but here goes.
I need to expand my TrueNAS build, I have another server with harddrives in it,
In my main box I have a LSI 9300-8e card to receive storage from the other server,
my question is, in the other server what card do I need ?
If I buy a LSI 9300 4e4i card, will this work or do I need to buy a SFF - 8088 to SFF 8087 adaptor ?
I don't want to buy the HP HBA card that's recommended on these forums because that's really old and this is for work so I can't buy used hardware.

I already have a HP p222 card that I put in HBA mode, but my main server doesn't seem to recognize it when connected through the LSI 9300-8e.
Thanks!

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I think you're not grasping the concept of attaching External Storage.

The other side won't be a server, it should be a Storage Shelf or SAS Enclosure which will present its backplane via an External SAS port (which would match the port on your 9300-8e). https://docs.broadcom.com/doc/1235239

The cable type should be Mini-SAS HD External as indicated in the document.

gt2416

Patron
I don’t have a additional sas, we have another server with a ton of Harddrives so I need to use that. I know that I don’t need to boot an OS on it, just need to get past post screen. I want to make it work like a external sas.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I want to make it work like a external sas.
OK, so you need to do your research on that... I don't think you can do it, but I have nothing against you trying.

Let us know if you find a way.

sretalla