Not open for further replies.

Scentle5S

Explorer
Hi,

I have a structure like this :

Dataset
Transmission_download_folder
Some_other_folder_where_I_put_finished_transmission_downloads​

And a periodic snapshot set for the Dataset. The problem is that the files in Transmission_download_folder change constantly (since they are progressing downloads). Therefore my snapshots take lots of space.

So I thought I would transform the Transmission_download_folder to a dataset and make sure the periodic snapshot isn't recursive. But then I face another issue : since Transmission_download_folder and Some_other_folder_where_I_put_finished_transmission_downloads are now on two different datasets, moving large files from one to the other takes forever !

Is there a solution that would allow me to enjoy the best of the two worlds ? Perhaps a way to exclude a folder from the periodic snapshot ?

Scentle5S

Explorer
Nope...

Just by curiosity : this is the second time you ask on one of my sadly unanswered threads (:() if I found a solution. Is it because you're also interested in the answer or just to mark the thread as solved ? Be assured that if I ever find a solution (even though I kind of have given up on this one, having tried all that I could think of / find), I will post back to share ;)

D

dlavigne

Sometimes asking kickstarts a thread for others to chime in, sometimes the OP has found a solution but forgot to update the thread, and sometimes the status of the thread is the same. Don't know until you ask :smile:

Scentle5S

Explorer
Ok well let's hope it will kickstart the thread (assuming there is a solution to this situation) :p

Sakuru

Guru
Is there a solution that would allow me to enjoy the best of the two worlds ? Perhaps a way to exclude a folder from the periodic snapshot ?
No, snapshots are purely a dataset thing. There is no way to exclude folders.

Scentle5S

Explorer
Ok, that's what I thought. So maybe another way to deal with this ? I didn't try it but I suppose this wouldn't work either :
Dataset
Some_other_dataset_where_I_put_finished_transmission_downloads
Transmission_download_dataset​
As long as there are two datasets, they act as different partitions / hard drives and kill the performances when moving stuff, wether they are sub-datasets or not, right ?

Sakuru

Guru
Correct, datasets are independent filesystems. Unfortunately you are left with the choice of using lots of storage space or time. I do not see a better solution.

Scentle5S

Explorer
Ok, thanks for the confirmation ;) Should I mark the thread as solved nevertheless ? This is a little confusing since my question is answered but the "problem" remains :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.