Periodic Snapshots don't work after 9.3 upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan99

Cadet
I finally took the decision to upgrade from FreeNas 9.2 to 9.3. I upgraded through the web UI rather than from re-create from scratch. Everything seems to work OK except for periodic snapshots which aren't being created any more.

I have one periodic snapshot on a single dataset. This was non-recursive, run every day from 2300 through 23:45, frequency every 1 day, keep snapshot for 2 weeks. There is then a replication task for this periodic snapshot to another FreeNAS box.

Ever since the upgrade, this periodic snapshot has not been created. I've looked through all the logs I know about and cannot find anything to indicate it's done anything at 2300, or any errors. I've deleted the periodic snapshot and re-created it.

Any help to diagnose and rectify this would be appreciated. My off site backup is now a couple of weeks behind.

D

dlavigne

There were some issues with replication/snapshots in 9.3.1 that are still being fixed. If you still have a copy of your 9.2 config, you could try installing http://download.freenas.org/9.3/STABLE/201506292332/ as that was the last SU before the replication changes. However, do NOT install that version and then try to upload your 9.3 config to it as that will muck things up (in other words, you can't apply a config from a newer version to an older version and expect good things to happen).

Alan99

Cadet
Thanks for your reply. I did an install of 201506292332 from iso and then uploaded my backup configuration. Everything worked again except for creating snapshots.

I then noticed that my cron log file (/var/log/cron) had no new lines after the upgrade. However the cron daemon was running.

I've restarted the cron service and I'm getting entries in the cron log and snapshots are now being created. I haven't rebooted the box yet to see whether this is a persistent problem or whether I just needed another reboot cycle.

So its fixed for now and I know at least one thing to look for in the future should it happen again.

Status
Not open for further replies.