Excessive iSCSI processes/threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiretz

Cadet
Hi All,

I have had problems with iSCSI in the past but thought I would give it another go. I created the targets and all of the other settings and got Win 7 connecting with MutualChap. The drive appeared, I formatted it and started to copy files. The first copy went fine. I then moved a directory. This was removed from the old disk but I couldn't find it on the iSCSI disk. It is slightly possible that I sent the files to a different location.

Anyway, I set a large copy going and woke up to the disk no longer mounted on my Win 7 machine. Freenas was running slowly as well. I ran top and found that there were over 1100 processes. I tried to list all of the processes and eventualy ran this command ps -a -U root -H. Most of the entries were ...

18208 ?? ILs 0:00.02 /usr/local/bin/istgt -c /usr/local/etc/istgt/istgt.conf

I am not really sure what I am looking at. I think these are threads of the process 18208.

Anyway, the Freenas box isn't happy at the moment and I will probably not use iSCSI again. I am not really sure of the advantages over shares in my situation.

I posted this in case someone else has experienced the same.

[ edit ]

I restarted the machine and it seems the 1028 threads for istgt is normal.

[ edit ]

Actually, the reboot didn't occur because the istgt process couldn't be stopped. Now it has 5 threads.

I also saw some error saying that my iscsi name was formatted correctly. I fixed this. The only other message was some GEOM: messages saying the iSCSI partition does not start/end on a track boundary

regards

Justin.

Status
Not open for further replies.