Errors importing pool after server crashed

SirMarty

Cadet
My server crashed, I think the USB boot drive failed. I re-installed TrueNas 12 onto a new USB drive. The server is up, it detects the pool, however, it fails to import it with this error:

("data/zfs' is not a valid directory',)

Error: concurrent.futures.process._RemoteTraceback:
"""
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/concurrent/futures/process.py", line 243, in _process_worker
r = call_item.fn(*call_item.args, **call_item.kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/worker.py", line 94, in main_worker
res = MIDDLEWARE._run(*call_args)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/worker.py", line 45, in _run
return self._call(name, serviceobj, methodobj, args, job=job)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/worker.py", line 39, in _call
return methodobj(*params)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/worker.py", line 39, in _call
return methodobj(*params)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 979, in nf
return f(*args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/zfs.py", line 371, in import_pool
self.logger.error(
File "libzfs.pyx", line 391, in libzfs.ZFS.__exit__
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/zfs.py", line 365, in import_pool
zfs.import_pool(found, new_name or found.name, options, any_host=any_host)
File "libzfs.pyx", line 1095, in libzfs.ZFS.import_pool
File "libzfs.pyx", line 1123, in libzfs.ZFS.__import_pool
libzfs.ZFSException: '/data/zfs' is not a valid directory
"""

The above exception was the direct cause of the following exception:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 367, in run
await self.future
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 403, in __run_body
rv = await self.method(*([self] + args))
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 975, in nf
return await f(*args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/pool.py", line 1421, in import_pool
await self.middleware.call('zfs.pool.import_pool', pool['guid'], {
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1256, in call
return await self._call(
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1221, in _call
return await self._call_worker(name, *prepared_call.args)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1227, in _call_worker
return await self.run_in_proc(main_worker, name, args, job)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1154, in run_in_proc
return await self.run_in_executor(self.__procpool, method, *args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1128, in run_in_executor
return await loop.run_in_executor(pool, functools.partial(method, *args, **kwargs))
libzfs.ZFSException: ("'/data/zfs' is not a valid directory",)

As suggested from another post have this output:

1635623376479.png

So this appears to be a failed drive, however, I should I not be able import the pool still? The post I was reading the guy was using a hardware raid. Since I'm not, is there an import process I can do?
This is a bit over my head to sort out an fix. Any change of data recovery? Any suggestions?

Specs

Motherboard: Intel S3200H
CPU: Xeon 3075
RAM 4x2gb Axiom DDR2-667 ECC
Boot Drive: USB Stick (lexar 32gb, new one and the old one)
Hard Drives: 3x Seagate ST2000NM0033 2TB Sata + 2x Western Digital RE4 WD2003FYYS 2TB
Raid : Z1
Hard disk controllers : ICH9R (onboard SATA ports)
Network cards : Intel 82541P1

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Check the cables and connectors for your drives. UNAVAIL means the pool can't see that drive.

SirMarty

Cadet
All drives are plugged in, power and SATA. Since I'm not sure which the failed drive is, and the GUI pool import errors out, can I import via command line and is it safe? Once imported, then I'd imaging I can see the drives and identify via SN which one to replace and then resilver.

Samuel Tai

You'll have to work by process of elimination. First run glabel status to match up the gptids with the device ID along with the specific partitions. Then for each device ID, run smartctl -i <ID> to get the serial number. That way you can figure out which drives aren't the one that's unavailable, and you can locate the drive that doesn't match any of the serial numbers belonging to the available drives.

SirMarty

Cadet
I did locate the drive (was /dev/ada4) and swapped it. Still getting the same results when attempting to import. When I run
Code:
smartctl -i <ID>
the drive still isn't detected. Possible SATA port issue, or cable. I'm going to try a different cable and port.
In the case that I can't get the fifth drive back, what's the best way to import the pool to start moving any data I can recover to another system?

Samuel Tai

Apologies for the late reply. You can force the import via zpool import -f -c /data/zfs/zpool.cache -R /mnt Space. Once the pool is imported, you can run the replace drive procedure zpool replace Space gptid/6f160f14-01d8-11eb-b26b-001e6771a890 /dev/<device ID of your new drive>

SirMarty

Cadet
No worries about the the delay. I'm just thankful for the help!
Although I think it might be lost cause :

1635802688489.png

I re-checked the hardware today, all seems plugged in securely. This time when it booted I watched it and there were a lot of block errors. As I dug in more, the UI alerts show :

CRITICAL

Device: /dev/ada0, 72 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors.​

Device: /dev/ada1, 117 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors.​

Device: /dev/ada2, 140 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors.​

Device: /dev/ada3, 154 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors.​

I'm not sure what would have caused all this havoc, but it doesn't look good to me.

Samuel Tai