error when booting free magic broken

Status
Not open for further replies.

ozwaldca

Explorer
Hey guys,

Whenever I shutdown my system using the UI. when i go to reboot the box i get an error stating something like:

Welcome to GRUB!

Welcome to GRUB!

free magic is broken at 0xf1ca8cc0: 0x0 ( this number wil be different)
Aborted. Press any key to exit.

i then have to reinstall freenas and load a previous config file. which take time. any ideas why this is happening? Everything works great once it is up.

I am running 9.3 and have mirror boot with two USB drives. I have tried removing one of the USB keys and still nothing.

Cheers

Ozzy

styno

Patron
I don't want to make a sad panda out of you, but most of the time this GRUB behavior is related to RAM issues.
May I suggest to try (re)booting with a minimal memory config and see how that works out?

ozwaldca

Explorer
Hi styno, i am a relative newbie with freenas. i set it up and thats about it lol

are saying i need to remove the physical memory or is there a menu item for this? i have a second freenas box that iset and was using for snapshots. It as well is having the same issue.

What type of memory issue are you referring to? bad DIMM's?

Cheers and thanks

Ozzy

Sakuru

Guru

ozwaldca

Explorer
I am running:

Build FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201506292332
Platform Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2603 0 @ 1.80GHz
Memory 32712MB

I forget the specifics of the board i will have to open it up and take a look. IF there was a memory eror would there be no messages in the FreeNAS UI?

if i shut down then i have to reinstall FreeNAS... so i would have to schedule some downtime.

styno

Patron
i have a second freenas box that iset and was using for snapshots. It as well is having the same issue.
Then a bad dimm is most likely not what is causing this. Do you have more info that you can share? Running a memcheck is still a good suggestion.
Do you have the full specs for both systems? Motherboards, bootstick brands,..

ozwaldca

Explorer
I will have to gathering that when i get home this afternoon. i guess i can use my 2nd box as a test. thanks you for the quick replies i will do my best to update later today!

ozwaldca

Explorer
Well i am back home and it look like my second nas box is acting up as well.... it is now saying:

GRUB loading..
Welcome to GRUB!

error: unknown filesystem
entering rescue mode...
grub rescue>

if i reinstall Freenas again it will work... why when rebooting FreeNAS do i get GRUB errors...

ozwaldca

Explorer
i am gonna rebuild my backup box take a snapshot and then i can play with my primary nas.. i have clients using it so i have to do it after hours.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
Whoa buddy. Are we gonna have fisticuffs?
"Where I'm from, them's fightin' words."
"Well how come we ain't fight'n?"
"This ain't where I'm from."

diskdiddler

Wizard
I'm getting this problem inconsistently from my VMs - is anyone else seeing this?

Status
Not open for further replies.