FreeNAS 11 & ubuntu-16.04.2 cannot install vm

Status
Not open for further replies.

sab5449

Cadet
I'm trying to install a new Ubuntu VM. I have my .iso on the freenas server in a SMB share, I've created a ZVol, and I've added the necessary devices (NIC, VNC, DISK, CDROM).

When I select 'Install Ubuntu' I immediately see a message "error: attempt to read or write outside of disk 'hd1'. alloc magic is broken...Aborted. Press any key to exit."

Has anyone else seen this?

sab5449

Cadet
So switching to Ubuntu 17.04 solved this problem, but now I have an issue where when the installation finishes I'm prompted to remove the installation media and restart. I'm not sure how to proceed at this point...

chris crude

Patron

sab5449

Cadet
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/how-to-how-to-boot-linux-vms-using-uefi.54039/

or use this, starting in step 3 where it says "Choose 'Try Ubuntu without installing' as this will boot it into a Live environment" and use the terminal commands
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/how-to-boot-ubuntu-desktop-vm-in-uefi-mode.53863/

Thanks that's what did it for me. I didn't follow the instructions exactly. I followed the instructions in the FreeNas documentation was able to install Ubuntu. However when asked to remove the installation media and restart there's nothing you can do. I wasn't able to stop the VM so I had to restart my server. Once that was done I followed step 3 of those instructions only, and was able to get everything working. Thanks.

wraith

Contributor
Having a similar issue but not sure if it's the same cause. After installing Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS and restarting I'm presented with "Please remove the installation medium, then press ENTER:"

I've tried removing the link to the ISO as well as deleting the CD-ROM device. However, I suspect, for some reason, the VM isn't accepting the ENTER key.

Anyone come across this issue or is it related? Should I start a new thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.