SOLVED Error "truenas ntpd[999]: error resolving pool 0.freebsd.pool.ntp.org: name does not resolve (8)"

Heracles

Wizard
You can re-install the system and it will not touch the pool. Of course, do not install the system over one of the data drive for that... Just re-install over the same boot device and the new system will be able to import the pool. That is if you did not used pool-level encryption.

If you did use encryption, extract all your data from that pool first. Encryption is way beyond your reach and you will end up with a self-inflicted ransomware instead of a security feature.

How do I check if I didn't use pool level encryption? Do I also need to put the settings manually?

Heracles

Wizard
How do I check if I didn't use pool level encryption?

Considering how low we are right now and that you confirmed you do not have any sensitive data in that server for now, I would recommend you just destroy everything and re-start from scratch...

I did also take a backup of the NAS in the .tar file just incase if anything goes wrong so can I restore will that? Can I use a different type of operating system such as TrueNAS Scale? What are the benefits of doing that like do I get my plugins back and configuration back?

Last edited:
Anyways I got it! What I did was I just re-installed TrueNAS and uploaded my config file and it is up and running! I got my data back but I need to reinstall the plugins. Thank you so much for the help!