Can not connect to FreeNAS GUI or AFP/SMB. Host name not found?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmacka88

Patron
Hi,

Recently had an issue with my NAS where I can't connect to it via GUI or Shares. I am getting this error:

Code:
FreeNAS ntpd_initres[7430]: hostname not found: 1.freebsd.pool.ntp.org
FreeNAS ntpd_initres[7430]: hostname not found: 2.freebsd.pool.ntp.org
FreeNAS ntpd_initres[7430]: hostname not found: 0.freebsd.pool.ntp.org
FreeNAS ntpd_initres[7430]: hostname not found: 1.freebsd.pool.ntp.org
FreeNAS ntpd_initres[7430]: hostname not found: 2.freebsd.pool.ntp.org

Did a little digging on the forum and someone said has to do with DNS. Using the console I Configured DNS which was using my pfsense for at 192.168.1.1. I left (local) blank and change the DNS to OpenDNS 208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220. But still getting the same issue.

Currently, I am using pfSense as my router/firewall. I have my DNS pointing to OpenDNS and am using DNS forwarder. So I have a feeling it has something to do with my pfSense firewall.

Any help would be great.

Cheers

D

dlavigne

Does ifconfig show that the system received an IP address? If so, can a system in the network ping that IP address? Is pfsense providing DHCP or are you using a static IP setup?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
It's not necessarily a DNS issue.
That error means that your FreeNAS box was unable to find that hostname. So anything that can potentially interrupt hostname resolution can be the cause of the problems.

rogerh

Guru
What IP address does your console on the monitor attached to the FreeNAS machine say that you should use to view the GUI? Have you set this yourself or is this set by DHCP? What happens when you try to ping that address from another computer on your network? If you are using the IP address on your local network you do not even need DNS to do this, so you can leave the DNS problem for later when local networking is fixed. (It may then fix itself!)

tmacka88

Patron
Does ifconfig show that the system received an IP address? If so, can a system in the network ping that IP address? Is pfsense providing DHCP or are you using a static IP setup?

did a ifconfig in console shell but can't figure out how to scroll up the check the required interface. any idea how to scroll?

No FreeNAS is a static ip interface that I setup myself.

No I can't seam to ping it from another computer on my network.

Yes pfSense is a dhcp server but freenas has a static ip assigned.

Cheers

cyberjock

Inactive Account
"ipconfig | more"

rogerh

Guru
Presumably the IP you gave FreeNAS is in the 192.168.1.x subnet, and has the same subnet mask as the pfsense box (probably /24 or 255.255.255.0). And you have made sure there is no other machine with the same IP as the one you have chosen, and preferably the Pfsense box either doesn't run DHCP or the IP you chose is not in the range it serves. They are both connected to the same switch, which has been powered off and on at least once in the proceedings. Then it is really hard to see why it doesn't work. What is the FreeNAS IP? And what is the subnet mask?

tmacka88

Patron
"ipconfig | more"

I think I seen that before actually. must have forgotten it.

Ok, so in console I deleted my interface and it reverted to a dhcp one where I could access freenas, so it must have had an issue there. Checked my DHCP server on pfSense and my freenas static Ip was in the range of the DHCP, but not sure if that was the problem or not. Quite possible could have been it, but I not sure cause the range stared at 1.50 and freenas was 1.141 so had a few to get through before being a problem and I dont think i had dhcp set lease to forever.

Cheer guys for the help. Freenas forum is always the best :)

tmacka88

Patron
think I spoke to soon. so if I delete the interface and let freenas assign a ip via dhcp it works fine. but as soon as I try setting a interface to static no matter what up I try it stops working.

think I might update to 9.3 and see what happens.

rogerh

Guru
If the IP address is ok, then you must be setting the netmask wrong. Or the IP is in use elsewhere on your network.

tmacka88

Patron
My freenas was working fine for years without ever touching the interface setting. I have even tried changing the ip to another static which is outside my dhcp and same deal. I have now upgraded to 9.3 and still nothing. Maybe I have to do a clean install. It's just weird how works fine one day and not the next. I have been playing with my pfSense firewall setting up a DMZ but I have gone over everything I did and can't seam to find anything that would effect it. Little lone it's fine if i delete my interface and let FreeNAS pick up a dhcp ip.

Check netmask everything is /24.

rogerh

Guru
I quite agree - it is inexplicable. I doubt if the problem is anything to do with FreeNAS, though. You have reset the switch after changing IP?

gpsguy

As rogerh said, I doubt the problem has anything to do with FreeNAS. My guess, is that you are overlooking a setting when you try to set a static address.

That being said, can you create a reservation in your DHCP server? Get the MAC address from the server's NIC and reserve one of the addresses in the DHCP range. Leave FreeNAS configured to use DHCP. For all intents and purposes, you'll have a static address.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
You shouldn't have to set a static route in freenas. Assign your IP in pfsense (or let it assign one via dhcp) and let freenas do the rest. You'll likely have to reboot freenas (unless the network can be reset via cli) for the change to take place.

Do you have any jails set up? Are you having an IP conflict with one them?

rogerh

Guru
You shouldn't have to set a static route in freenas.
No-one has mentioned a static route. A static/fixed address assigned by DHCP is what was being referred to. Good point about the jails, though.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
I stand corercted. He deleted his interface from the console not web ui. My bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.