Error getting used space (Error)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ozwaldca

Explorer
i had to reboot my freenas box and when i tried to access my zfs share, it wasnt available. When i opened the GUI i saw this error:

share /mnt/share Error getting used space (Error) Error getting available space Error getting total space

freenas1.jpg

Hopefully there is some help out there!!

Cheers

ProtoSD

MVP
This can happen when your database gets out of sync with your pool for some reason.
How do you have ZFS setup, as a mirror or raidz?
What version are you using 8.0 or 8.01beta?

You can try from the command line to do a 'zpool export your-pool'
and then from the GUI do Storage -> Volumes -> Auto Import (the Auto Import can be in a slighty different spot depending on which version you are using)
If that fails, do the 'zpool export your-pool' from the command line again
Save your settings
Do a factory reset
After it reboots, try doing the Auto Import from the GUI again
If that works you can try restoring your settings or if that messes things up again, repeat the whole procedure but this time don't restore your settings and re-enter them by hand.

I'm not exactly sure what causes this problem, but see if those steps get your system going again.

ozwaldca

Explorer
Thanks for the suggestion..i was off site allweek and just got back. i will try this and let you know!

I have RAIDZ running 8.0

Silly question though .. can i get to the command line through the web gui? OR do i have to hook up a lcd and keyboard for that?

ProtoSD

MVP
I'm scrambling to head out of town for about a month so I'm not sure I'll be able to help you all the way through this. Can you verify your drives are online? If you do a 'dmesg | more' from the command line, look through there carefully and you should see them if they're being detected. If they are, you might need to do a zpool import first, then a zpool export (from the command line), and then finally an Auto Import from the GUI. If they're not, well, you probably have a bad controller, or some other hardware issue.

ozwaldca

Explorer
I'm scrambling to head out of town for about a month so I'm not sure I'll be able to help you all the way through this. Can you verify your drives are online? If you do a 'dmesg | more' from the command line, look through there carefully and you should see them if they're being detected. If they are, you might need to do a zpool import first, then a zpool export (from the command line), and then finally an Auto Import from the GUI. If they're not, well, you probably have a bad controller, or some other hardware issue.

hey i tried a zpool import and it looks like i am missing some drives :( Look like i have some lost data.

Enjoy your trip thanks for the help!!

joeschmuck

Old Man
So you are missing drives? So some of your drives are not being recognized during the boot process. I have a few suggestions...

It would be nice to know how many drives you have and which ones are or are not recognized (by SATA connection preferred).

1) Verify the SATA and power connectors are fully mated (on both ends of the cables). And verify all the drives are spinning (by touch if you can).
2) Verify the BIOS can see all the drives. If not then did you make any changes to the BIOS? You may need to tweak the get the drives exposed. If you cannot then maybe your MB has failed.
3) Try to reset the BIOS to factory defaults if the MB does not recognize the drives.
4) Do you notice any odd clicking noises from any of the drives?
5) If the MB recognizes the drives but FreeNAS does not, reload a fresh donloaded copy of the FreeNAS iso file. Use Beta-4 if you like or one of the nightly builds but get away from 8.0. Auto-Import works with Beta-4 and later.

@Protosd,
Buddy, you need to pack and hit the road. Leave your computer behind and enjoy that NM dry heat. Once I survive the Hurricane I'll try to take up some of the slack.

-Mark

ozwaldca

Explorer
thanks for the suggestions. i can give it a shot and let you know the details. Thanks for all the help!!

Try and keep your feet dry.

Cheers

Ozzy

ozwaldca

Explorer
I was using an 80GB drive (all drives are SATA) for the OS and 3 x 500GB drives for the data

i configured a RAIDZ with the three drives but according to the BIOS it appears two of the Data drives are not showing up.

Is it possible to get data back using one drive?

Durkatlon

Patron
What type of drives do you have for the data? Any timeout messages in your kernel log? (type dmesg at command prompt). Unfortunately you need 2 drives to get back data from a 3-drive RAIDZ.

t3h0th3r

Dabbler
for others facing the original problem where your pool isn't recognized after upgrades and auto import wouldn't find your pool (happened to me twice after upgrade from 0.72 to 8 and from 8.0 to 8.0.1beta4), check out this fix.

HokieRif

Cadet
Reviving an old thread since I just experienced this - in my case the cause was a faulty PCIe SATA controller. A simple swap-in of a new controller corrected the issue and my NAS was able to reconnect the mount.

Status
Not open for further replies.