"Error: attempt to read or write outside of hd0" After Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astronomer

Dabbler
I bumped my server (HP ML350 G5) to 20Gb ECC RAM from 16 Gb this morning and it rebooted just fine and all was well. I saw that there were some updates, so I applied them, and could not access the server from the web interface afterward. I went down to the server, turned on a screen, and saw this Grub error: "Error attempt to read or write outside of hd0".

The boot drive is a 16Gb Sandisk USB stick.

Any thoughts on what to do? This is a new one for me, and a search turned up precious little.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I'm not familiar with this error however it should be easy enough to just remove the USB Flash drive, take it to another computer and reformat it (do a FULL reformat, not quick reformat to ensure it's not physically damaged). Now reinstall FreeNAS to your USB device. Or just install FreeNAS to a new/different USB flash drive.

Astronomer

Dabbler
I have a spare USB stick that I'm installing FreeNAS on now. Idiotically, I don't have a recent backup config. Having never done it before, is it hard to remount my pools so I can access my data?

Oddly, I can boot the original USB stick on my laptop, but I can't get it to do so on the server. Very strange, that. The replacement stick boots just fine on the server.

Astronomer

Dabbler
Success! I downloaded an ISO of the latest build. I booted from that and plugged in the original USB drive. I booted and ran the installer, and chose the option to upgrade the existing installation and keep the original configuration. I booted from that and all works well. I just made a backup of the configuration, and I'll pick up a couple of new 16Gb drives tomorrow.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Glad yo figured it out. Yes, everyone should make a backup of the config file.

Status
Not open for further replies.