error 5, Unretryable

taylordude

Explorer
Hello, I took over an account that has a truenas as a backup system. it will no longer boot and I get what seems to be a common thing error 5.

This has a lot of data on it and there is no OS config backup..

Is that data gone? or can I reinstall and that data would still be there?

is there a procedure for reinstalling NAS and pulling that data over?

Thanks in advance..

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Can you describe the hardware and the exact error message? The data is likely safe, but you may need to reinstall the OS. However, it's best not to start trying things randomly, but ascertain the exact situation first.

taylordude

Explorer
So its a HPZ840 with 5TB and the OS is installed on a 1TB HD on the system. I guess maybe that drive failed or something.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Can you screenshot the error message during boot? We need to tread carefully so as not to stomp on any of the data drives. Can you see which drive LEDs light up during the boot?

taylordude

Explorer
The drives are in the tower and I cannot see them. But yes I can take a photo of the screen

taylordude

Explorer
20221221_101914.jpg

Looks like drive da1 is toast. Identify it and replace it.

Can you send a screenshot of zpool status first and then after that your share config.

taylordude

Explorer
Okay now the system is running and the shares are working but still seeing those errors.. UGH

Yep da1 is still toast. Send over your pool layout / zpool status to give us a chance please.

taylordude

Explorer
Okay what is the best method to provide that info.. Gui? or Shell if so what command or where do I navigate too.. Thanks in advance

Either is fine. If shell its zpool status if GUI it depends on your version but normally Storage, Status

ok we need the top bit that's half missing. If you know the name of the pool run zpool status nameofpool others run zpool status |more

Either way it don't look good. You have one drive failed and one almost gone in a Z1. If that drive goes (and I bet its da1) you will lose all your data. I would start backing up your important data NOW. Do you have replacement drives to hand?

taylordude

Explorer
So this a system I use for backups, this is used to backup our main Truenas Server which is their primary file server. I can go get drives if need be or should I just rebuild it?