Error 5, Unretryable error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chriscom

Dabbler
Hi all,

I'm desperate for a bit of help here. I've had my FreeNas box working for over a year now, yet today I was happily using it in Windows 10 and noticed it was slowing moving a file, it then when I tried to save anything it wouldn't work and had lost the network connection.

I rebooted server using the off/on button on the front of the machine and when it started I got the following message back:

Trying to mount root from zfs:freenas-boot/root/freenas-9.3-stable-201512121950[]...
Loading early kernel modules:
GEOM_RAID5: Module loaded, version 1.3.20140711.2 (rev f91e28e40bf7)
(da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0:0): READ(10). CDB: 28 00 00 00 24 ee 00 00 01 00
(da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0:0): CAM status: SCSI Status Error
(da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0:0): SCSI status: Check Condition
(da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0:0): SCSI sense: MEDIUM ERROR asc:11,0 (Unrecovered read error)
(da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0:0): Error 5, Unretryable error
(da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0:0): READ(10). CDB: 28 00 00 00 24 ee 00 00 02 00
(da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0:0): CAM status: SCSI Status Error
(da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0:0): SCSI status: Check Condition
(da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0:0): SCSI sense: MEDIUM ERROR asc:11,0 (Unrecovered read error)
(da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0:0): Error 5, Unretryable error

Now I'll hold my hands up now I don't know much about this stuff, I managed to get the whole thing working as I wanted using the GUI and a few instructions. But past that I struggle with even using the command line.

I've read a few bits here so far, which have confused me more, and at the moment I think my USB stick that I use to boot up has died and I need to get a new one, install FreeNAS again and then get the config from my old USB stick and I should be fine?

I'm really really worried I may lose my data (which I can't afford to do) so I've currently unplugged the 4 drives on the off chance me trying anything will make it worse.

Can any body shed any light on to what I've done and what I should do to fix it please. Is my plan of getting a new install on a new usb stick sensible? How can I get my old config file from the USB stick?

Please help I'm in so much trouble here.

I've got an HP ProLiant Gen8 G1610T 2GB RAM MicroServer.

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer

Chriscom

Dabbler
Hi,

Thanks for that, although it appears to be talking about drives, where as my issue is with booting from a USB Stick, I can't seem to find a reference to Error 5 either?

Thanks, Chris.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I've read a few bits here so far, which have confused me more, and at the moment I think my USB stick that I use to boot up has died and I need to get a new one, install FreeNAS again and then get the config from my old USB stick and I should be fine?
We more often see those kinds of errors with a hard drive, which is no doubt why @Bidule0hm pointed you to that thread. With their being on the USB stick, I'd agree with your assessment that the stick has died. You really should have downloaded a copy of your config file, and if you did, you wouldn't need to try to recover it from the old stick.

Please note that your system has only 1/4 of the minimum required RAM to run FreeNAS 9.3.

Chriscom

Dabbler
Hi,

I did wonder about the RAM bit, but its been running happily for a year now, I don't do much more than save files to it and play stuff from Plex and it seems fine. After this I'll upgrade it to 8gb though.

@Bidule0hm Sorry I didn't want to sound ungrateful I'm just panicking a bit and I'm rubbish with this sort of thing.

@danb35 thanks, I didn't even know about downloading the config file but if I make it through this I'll make sure I do that.

I assume there's no way to access the old stick through Windows (assuming it's accessible)?

I'll crack on with a new install on a new USB stick and no doubt come back in a bit for more help if thats ok.

Thanks so much for the help so far.

EDIT: I've got an 8gb RAM chip coming tomorrow so that'll give me 10gb.

Last edited:

Chriscom

Dabbler
If I don't have the config file with FreeNAS pick up my previous files etc or will it require a hard drive format?

danb35

Hall of Famer
I assume there's no way to access the old stick through Windows (assuming it's accessible)?
No, AFAIK, there's no way to read ZFS under Windows. However, once you have the new install going (consider installing on two sticks as a mirror--that should help in the future), you may be able to read the old stick and get the config file from it. I haven't done it, but there are threads here discussing the process.
If I don't have the config file with FreeNAS pick up my previous files etc or will it require a hard drive format?
Once you have a clean installation, you can import your existing pool and all your files will be there, as long as you weren't using encryption.

Chriscom

Dabbler
@danb35 thanks for that I'll read up on it once I've got the fresh install, is there anything good on how to mirror boot USB sticks or is it just a case of installing a fresh one on the new stick and then copying over the config file?

danb35

Hall of Famer
You can install onto two drives, and the installer will create a mirror; according to the manual.

Or, you can install onto one drive, and add a second drive later to create the mirror. The manual describes how to do that too. If you're going to do this, make sure you check the actual capacities of your two sticks, and if there's any difference, install on the smaller one.

Chriscom

Dabbler
Brilliant thanks I'll do that later.

I've got the fresh install and managed to import the volumes so it looks like my data is ok at the moment! I assume now its just a case of setting up my CIFS as I had them, installing Plex again and then backing up my config incase this ever happens to me again?

danb35

Hall of Famer
I assume now its just a case of setting up my CIFS as I had them, installing Plex again
If you can get the config database off your old stick, that will take care of configuring your users, shares, and plugins. Otherwise, yes, this is correct.
and then backing up my config incase this ever happens to me again?
Definitely. Better yet, check out some of the tools in the How-To section of the forums for ways to automatically back up the config file.

Chriscom

Dabbler
Good idea, I'll see what I can get out of the old stick. I think it may be dead though.

I'm such a donkey at this I actually used this guide a year or so ago to set it up,

http://exzacklyright.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/newbienoob-guide-to-freenas-plex.html

Do you think thats a good idea or is there a better one?

Thanks again for all your hope, both of you, I almost died this morning when I thought I might have lost all my data. Not to mention what work would have said!

Chriscom

Dabbler
I followed the instructions and while the CLI didn't show me an error message it didn't actually come back with anything. Then looking at the direct output I get the Error 5, Unretryable error again, which suggests to me its well and truly stuffed?

I assume my only option now is to try and set it all up again, but this time make sure I save my working config?

Status
Not open for further replies.