epyc cpu needs turbo boost turned on (if possible)

gus4b

Dabbler
maybe the solution is to install windows server 2022 and under it in a hypervisor install truenas scale ?

gus4b

Dabbler
No, TrueNAS as a VM is not supported in Hyper-V.

im trying to instal server 2022 under truenas scale and i recieve the following display inside the vm can you help me out ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2.png
    Screenshot_2.png
    36.8 KB · Views: 102

jgreco

Resident Grinch
im trying to instal server 2022 under truenas scale and i recieve the following display inside the vm can you help me out ?

It's a UEFI shell. What would you do at this point to install Windows 2022? I've never done that so I have no idea.

gus4b

Dabbler
Does the same behavior exist if you just install Windows on bare metal?
Hello good morning, when i install windows baremetal it runs in full speed here is a comparision between windows baremetal and windows under truenas scale...

Attachments

• 7d12 passmark cpu result in truenas under windows 10.png
    7d12 passmark cpu result in truenas under windows 10.png
    935.4 KB · Views: 94
  • 7d12 passmark cpu result in windows 10 baremetal.png
    7d12 passmark cpu result in windows 10 baremetal.png
    987.6 KB · Views: 92

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
As mentioned by @jgreco and @NickF there will always be some manner of inherent overhead from virtualization technology, especially in a case such as this where you've fully allocated every available physical thread to your VM (1 CPU/32 cores/2 threads) - your host OS (SCALE) still needs some CPU horsepower for context switching and handling I/O, so it's having to cycle between running the bare metal OS (SCALE) and the kvm/qemu process, as well as emulating any virtual hardware needed to underpin it, and handle interrupts. Leaving a core or two free might actually improve performance.

The other issue with frequency reporting could be related to the underlying scheduler - for single-threaded tests, if the given pCPU that's running the kvm/qemu workload for vCPU changes frequently, then it may not reach the peak turbo speeds. Note that your virtual VRay benchmark in post #12 reported the clock speed as 1.32GHz in CPUID in the VM.

But I'm still inclined to believe the reported existence of a significant AVX2 ratio offset, as that's been commonly observed even on bare-metal, as a way to keep thermal/power consumption under control, and with an 85W sustained TDP, there isn't headroom for 32 cores to be going bananas with those instructions.

gus4b

Dabbler
As mentioned by @jgreco and @NickF there will always be some manner of inherent overhead from virtualization technology, especially in a case such as this where you've fully allocated every available physical thread to your VM (1 CPU/32 cores/2 threads) - your host OS (SCALE) still needs some CPU horsepower for context switching and handling I/O, so it's having to cycle between running the bare metal OS (SCALE) and the kvm/qemu process, as well as emulating any virtual hardware needed to underpin it, and handle interrupts. Leaving a core or two free might actually improve performance.

The other issue with frequency reporting could be related to the underlying scheduler - for single-threaded tests, if the given pCPU that's running the kvm/qemu workload for vCPU changes frequently, then it may not reach the peak turbo speeds. Note that your virtual VRay benchmark in post #12 reported the clock speed as 1.32GHz in CPUID in the VM.

But I'm still inclined to believe the reported existence of a significant AVX2 ratio offset, as that's been commonly observed even on bare-metal, as a way to keep thermal/power consumption under control, and with an 85W sustained TDP, there isn't headroom for 32 cores to be going bananas with those instructions.
hello i created a new vm under truenas with windows server 2022 and the results of the benchmark passmark seem to improve

Attachments

• 7d12 passmark cpu result in server 2022 under truenas.png
    7d12 passmark cpu result in server 2022 under truenas.png
    960.8 KB · Views: 98

NickF

Guru
Hello Nick is it possible to share a zvol to a network with samba share SMB ?
No, a zvol is a block storage device kinda like a virtual hard drive. SMB shares live in Datasets, which are like fancy folders.

gus4b

Dabbler
No, a zvol is a block storage device kinda like a virtual hard drive. SMB shares live in Datasets, which are like fancy folders.
HELLO NICK, I HAVE A NETWORK DUAL PORT 10GB CARD HOW CAN I DO A PCI PASSTROUGH STRAIT TO A VM MACHINE WITH WIN10 ? withut virtio, passing both ports to the vm?