Encrypted pool degraded and disks unavail

Status
Not open for further replies.

n01

Cadet
I'm really not sure what to do and could use some pointers.

One disk started reporting a few days ago "Device: /dev/ada2, 1 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors". So I thought "ok, I'll just replace". Yes, I realize I should have read user guide first.

After replacing it, I'm now seeing "(ZFS) state is DEGRADED: One or more devices could not be opened. Sufficient replicas exist for the pool to continue functioning in a degraded state." - and two of the 5 drives are showing up as "unavail".

Ok so I re-installed the failing drive and now when I run a zpool status two drives still show up as "unavail" - but they show up as online in the gui...

The question I have is... what do I do? Based on reading through the guide here: http://doc.freenas.org/9.10/storage.html#replacing-an-encrypted-drive - it says that in step three if I don't re-enter the encryption password before a reboot, that I might lose access in the future. Do I need to hot-swap the failing drive before I do a reboot?

Totally lost, really could use some guidance - thanks in advance.

Stux

MVP
How did you identify which drive to replace?

n01

Cadet
I ran "smartctl -t long /dev/ada2"

...fast forward to 9 hrs later...

"smartctl -ax /dev/ada2" and it showed me the serial number, which I matched up with the serial # on the physical hard drive.

n01

Cadet
Edited - I think I figured it out. I misunderstood what it was saying about rebooting and resilvering and encryption.

If I'm understanding it correctly, I just need to make sure I update the crypto stuff after the resilvering is done - not in between actually replacing physical drives.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.