Degraded pool - Can't detach old device

steve-c

Cadet
I'm attempting to replace a 2TB drive with a 6TB drive (single disk stripe) on my system running Freenas 9.10. I'm replacing because I inadvertently let the volume reach 96% capacity. The old drive is otherwise healthy and scrubs have always finished with no issues.

I followed the instructions on "Replacing Drives to Grow a ZFS Pool". After the resilvering was successfully completed I rebooted the system but did not remove the old drive. After reboot the pool was still in a degraded state with the new drive ONLINE but the old drive was still not detached from the pool. I shut down the system, removed the old drive and rebooted. The old drive was still attached and UNAVAIL. At this point I attempted to detach the drive on the CLI with zpool detach <pool> <device>. The system hung at that point. I'm not physically present at the server so it would be difficult confirm if there is any current disk activity, but the GUI hasn't responded in ~48 hours. At this point I think I should get some advice before proceeding any further.

I was able to copy the zpool status before losing access to the shell window:

Code:
[root@freenas ~]# zpool status                                                                                                     
  pool: STEVEJC-V1                                                                                                                 
 state: DEGRADED                                                                                                                   
  scan: scrub repaired 0 in 4h51m with 0 errors on Sun Jul 21 04:51:53 2019                                                         
config:                                                                                                                             

NAME                                            STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM                                                 
        STEVEJC-V1                                      DEGRADED     0     0     0                                                 
          replacing-0                                   DEGRADED     0     0     0                                                 
            5384778147682158842                         UNAVAIL      0     0     0  was /dev/gptid/5a421be7-79df-11e6-b083-0024e87f9a5e                                                                                                                                 
            gptid/9acf3fcf-6559-11e9-802e-0024e87f9a5e  ONLINE       0     0     0                                                 

errors: No known data errors                                                                                                       

pool: freenas-boot                                                                                                               
 state: ONLINE                                                                                                                     
  scan: scrub repaired 0 in 0h0m with 0 errors on Sun Jul 14 03:45:36 2019                                                         
config:                                                                                                                             

NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM                                                                                     
        freenas-boot  ONLINE       0     0     0                                                                                   
          ada0p2    ONLINE       0     0     0                                                                                     

errors: No known data errors                                                                                                       

Any help would be greatly appreciated!