Enable serial console in 9.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

tvinson

Cadet
I'm trying to enable serial console for the SOL on a SuperMicro X10SL7-F using the FreeNAS gui. I'm selecting 0x3e8 as serial port address and checking use serial console. On saving the following warning appears in /var/log/messages:

Requested serial terminal but GRUB_SERIAL_COMMAND is unspecified. Default parameters will be used.

/boot/grub/grub.cfg contains the following configuration:

serial
terminal_output console serial
set timeout=5

I do get serial output through the bios, disk, pxe and the grub menu screens. After the grub menu there's no output. This is on a fresh 9.3 release install with settings imported from a 9.2.1.9 system.

tvinson

Cadet
I'll add that /etc/ttys has:
sercons "/usr/libexec/getty freenas_serial115200" vt100 on secure

dmesg has the following for serial devices:
uart0: <16550 or compatible> port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 flags 0x10 on acpi0
uart1: <16550 or compatible> port 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on acpi0
uart2: <16550 or compatible> port 0x3e8-0x3ef irq 7 on acpi0

sercons gets added as a symlink to ttyu0:
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 5 Dec 18 18:29 /dev/sercons@ -> ttyu0

Uncle_Steve

Cadet
I'm trying to enable serial console for the SOL on a SuperMicro X10SL7-F using the FreeNAS gui. I'm selecting 0x3e8 as serial port address and checking use serial console. On saving the following warning appears in /var/log/messages:

Requested serial terminal but GRUB_SERIAL_COMMAND is unspecified. Default parameters will be used.

/boot/grub/grub.cfg contains the following configuration:

serial
terminal_output console serial
set timeout=5

I do get serial output through the bios, disk, pxe and the grub menu screens. After the grub menu there's no output. This is on a fresh 9.3 release install with settings imported from a 9.2.1.9 system.
Did you ever get this to work? I just started trying to get a serial console to work, and it does, but I don't get any boot messages.

tvinson

Cadet
Did you ever get this to work? I just started trying to get a serial console to work, and it does, but I don't get any boot messages.
I haven't made any progress, so I don't have much to say. The one other thing I've noticed is that if I connect with "screen /dev/ttyu0 115200" from my freenas box, screen exits after a brief pause.

Status
Not open for further replies.