emby on scale stuck on deploying

gwaitsi

Patron
the first time i re-installed emby, it worked, but then it stopped after some time and now it gets stuck on deploying.

Switching to the log shows the below error.
I note when emby starts the first time, it still has 8096 as the port, and even though i have changed this, it still seems to want to use it

2022-08-21 20:21:12 Readiness probe failed: Get "http://172.16.0.27:8096/emby/System/Ping": dial tcp 172.16.0.27:8096: connect: connection refused 2022-08-21 20:21:12 Liveness probe failed: Get "http://172.16.0.27:8096/emby/System/Ping": dial tcp 172.16.0.27:8096: connect: connection refused

gwaitsi

Patron
i had to edit ix-applications/releases/emby/charts/1.0.11/templates/deployment.yaml
and change 8096 to 9096 then it worked

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
i had to edit ix-applications/releases/emby/charts/1.0.11/templates/deployment.yaml
Please "report-a-bug" .. thanks

gwaitsi

Patron
done. thx

On a side note, for anyone interested in Emby (which I like much better than Plex for use with Kodi boxes);
as a plugin on Core, I had the user and group emby:emby created with ID 989:989
I found the default install on scale creates a user bin:bin which replaces the ownership of the dataset.
I set the Environment variables to USERID 989 and GROUPID 989 and reset the ACLs so it is clear that emby is the owner,
in case i ever forget where the bin came from

Last edited:

sp3tsnaz

Cadet
Is there a simple guide in how to do this? I am using Windows Shares for my various mounted pools, but don't have ix-applications shared - is there a way for me to do this through Shell, or should I mount that area and do it through windows?

Thanks.

gwaitsi

Patron
Is there a simple guide in how to do this? I am using Windows Shares for my various mounted pools, but don't have ix-applications shared - is there a way for me to do this through Shell, or should I mount that area and do it through windows?

Thanks.
I only know enough to be dangerous. But I also require my media data to be available via shares.
Here is what I did;
1) Create a user "emby" and group "emby" with the ID 989 for both (this is what was on the core emby plugin)
2) sounds like you already have a share e.g. from pool/dataset/media/music, pool/dataset/media/videos, etc
3) install emby from the official charts apps (i call the app emby)
4) add the Environment Variables Name USERID value 989 and Name GROUPID value 989
5) select Configure Host Network and use the standard port 9096 (not standard emby)
6) Enable path to emby server config volume
- i created pool/dataset/app_settings/emby
7) Config emby server extra host path
- i.e. /pool/dataset/media with the mount path /media
8) goes to shares and check the owner is now emby:emby
- you will have lost your win share rights probably
9) add your smbusers group or whatever with
ACL Advanced, ReadData, Read Named Attributes, Execute, Read Attributes and Read ACL. + Inherit ** if you want a read only, share like me. Otherwise as desired.
10) i think from memory i had to also add myself back with Full Control too.
11) Edit the file
edit {your pool}/{dataset}/ix-applications/releases/emby/charts/1.0.11/templates/deployment.yaml and change 8096 to 9096 then it worked
12) Start the app and go into emby for the first time. Besure to change all the 8096 /8996 to 9096

then you should be done.

sp3tsnaz

Cadet
Thanks for the detailed reply! I'll have a play around with it and see if I can get it working. Since I've already got Emby installed with media, I don't want to break it by setting it up again (as setting up Meta data each time is a pain).

Weirdly my initial port to set up Emby was entiehr 8096 or 9096 but another port all together - and this has worked all the way up until the last 2 nightlies, so I think something broke there - rolling back to the old nightly makes it still work on the old port that I have. Might just wait for a few more updates to see if it fixes itself, otherwise will follow your steps above if there is no server side fix.

Just to double check - for step 11 - are you doing this through Widnows share?

gwaitsi

Patron
Thanks for the detailed reply! I'll have a play around with it and see if I can get it working. Since I've already got Emby installed with media, I don't want to break it by setting it up again (as setting up Meta data each time is a pain).

Weirdly my initial port to set up Emby was entiehr 8096 or 9096 but another port all together - and this has worked all the way up until the last 2 nightlies, so I think something broke there - rolling back to the old nightly makes it still work on the old port that I have. Might just wait for a few more updates to see if it fixes itself, otherwise will follow your steps above if there is no server side fix.

Just to double check - for step 11 - are you doing this through Widnows share?
no, you have to go via the shell and navigate to the ix directory. you can use "editor" to edit the file

gwaitsi

Patron
was a waste of time, the closed the ticket and said the couldn't replicate it.

Latest emby Upgrade has exactly the same problem.
/mnt/data_volume/ix-applications/releases/emby/charts/1.0.12/templates/deployment.yaml

Line 26: containerPort: 8096
Line 53: port: 8096
Line 59: port: 8096
Line 65: port: 8096

These are the default emby values, but truenas has the default of 9096
therefore you get the error
Startup probe failed: Get "http://172.16.0.14:8096/emby/System/Ping": dial tcp 172.16.0.14:8096: connect: connection refused
which leaves it stuck in Deploying state

Vincent_D

Cadet
Same problem here after upgrade. I did not find the deployment.yaml file, but my solution was to change the ports from 8096 to my correct port in the ix_values.yaml file in the /emby/charts/"version"/ folder.

gwaitsi

Patron
Same problem here after upgrade. I did not find the deployment.yaml file, but my solution was to change the ports from 8096 to my correct port in the ix_values.yaml file in the /emby/charts/"version"/ folder.
if you know where that /emby/charts/"version"/ is, then there should be a templates subdirectory and the deployment.yaml is in there.

adrianjpb

Cadet
I do a fresh install of truenas scale, and get this error. So, I'm stuck on this! for others apps no problem!

Error installing emby.png

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Try refreshing the Catalog, which was updated yesterday with resource limits, and redeploying the app.

gwaitsi

Patron
Sadly the same!, no luck!
try post #5

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
The emby App has been updated

This includes use of port 9096

Let us know if there still issues... or make an Issue in Github.

gwaitsi

Patron

will do, on the next update. currently 4.7.11.0_1.0.19 - thanks

gwaitsi

Patron

nope. just updated to 4.7.11.0_1.0.20 and

/mnt/data_volume/ix-applications/releases/emby/charts/1.0.20/templates/deployment.yaml
/mnt/data_volume/ix-applications/releases/emby/charts/1.0.20/templates/portal.tpl
/mnt/data_volume/ix-applications/releases/emby/charts/1.0.20/templates/service-tcp.yaml

all have 8096 in them.
makes no difference "enable host network" is checked or unchecked.
only way to back it work is if i edit those files are replace with 9096

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
nope. just updated to 4.7.11.0_1.0.20 and

/mnt/data_volume/ix-applications/releases/emby/charts/1.0.20/templates/deployment.yaml
/mnt/data_volume/ix-applications/releases/emby/charts/1.0.20/templates/portal.tpl
/mnt/data_volume/ix-applications/releases/emby/charts/1.0.20/templates/service-tcp.yaml

all have 8096 in them.
makes no difference "enable host network" is checked or unchecked.
only way to back it work is if i edit those files are replace with 9096
Hmmm.. do you want to raise an issue in the Github account?

gwaitsi

Patron
@morganL

replacing 8096 with 9096 in file below is actually the only change that needs to be made to make it work.

for the avoidance of doubt, i tested with both "host network enable" checked and unchecked. The only difference between the two is
Used Ports:9096\TCP, 1900\UDP, 7359\UDP - checked
Used Ports:9096\TCP, 9096\TCP, 1900\UDP, 7359\UDP - unchecked ** without the mod to deployment.yaml, the 2nd 9096 is 8096

same as when i reported it

I am guessing (only know enough to be dangerous) that /mnt/data_volume/ix-applications/releases/emby/charts/1.0.20/templates/portal.tpl is intended to provide the override of the default emby/docker config. But in fact is not working - just a guess

** on a separate note, i believe the correct settings should be "Host Network Enabled" - checked, because it does not have ping to port 8096 errors in it, like what happens in the setting is unchecked

as for creating a ticket, I created NAS-117786 for SCALE-22.02.3 with exactly the same issue and got the below response.

"NAS-117786
Emby Scale application ports not fully converted for truenas
Muhammad Rehan 2:44 PM EDT
@S R I have not been able to replicate this problem..
Can you please try a fresh install of emby and let me know if the issue persists and then i can use your steps to replicate the issue?"

Last edited: