email: ZFS data corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

wheezer

Dabbler
Potato - pot-AH-to, I guess ... My bad.. been working with Microshaft too long.. and since I've only fairly recently begun my "Adventures in FreeNAS" (considering my total exposure to 'network storage systems'.. heh-heh.. anyone remember Novell 4?), my terminology is arguably no doubt 'somewhat limited'.
But... If memory serves, we went 'down that avenue' in discussions about "..what do you really want..?", which is when one of the 'management team' came out with "RAID-5". And since it is my understanding that RAIDz2 would require 4 drives (and was what I mentioned at the time), this became a little bit of a 'sticky issue'. So we proposed this as a 'viable alternative' insofar as there's so few users accessing this system presently; and disk space was (to a degree) one of their preliminary concerns. But, actually it seemed the over-riding consideration(s) were more focused on 'total costs', ultimately.
This is not a particularly large, nor (by some measure) massively 'successful' small firm, and in my estimation, such considerations can often influence those overall decisions regarding 'expenditures'.
My intent (read: hope) is that this might 'prove its worth' over a period of time, and convince 'the powers that be' that the 'vagaries' and 'capricious nature' of Microsoft Server systems (am I being sufficiently PC, here..?) will become as evident to them as it has to me over some uh - damn - 35+ years (?) working with MS. So at my 'advancing age', FreeNAS and Linux is my attempt to 'migrate' away from such 'frustrations'... As well as overall costs...
Just sayin'....

Last edited:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
since I've only fairly recently begun my "Adventures in FreeNAS", my terminology is arguably no doubt 'somewhat limited'.
Stick with it. We will get you up to speed. You may have already seen these but it is good reading for anyone and I refer back to these from time to time.

Terminology and Abbreviations Primer
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/terminology-and-abbreviations-primer.28174/

Slideshow explaining VDev, zpool, ZIL and L2ARC
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...ning-vdev-zpool-zil-and-l2arc-for-noobs.7775/

If you have any questions, just post them up, someone here will be happy to help.

Stux

MVP
He said that it went on and off repeatedly and with the server not on a UPS. You don't think that could be an explanation?

Yes. It could be, combined with only single parity. Much more likely to have s corruption on one drive and a collocated corruption on another (or total failure)

But, without drive sector/failure ZFS should not suffer corruption. It might lose transactions. But never corruptions

Status
Not open for further replies.