Email Notifications not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

NasKar

Guru
I just realized that I don't receive emails from my freenas box anymore with smart tests or UPS poweroutage, or security output. The last one was 7/1/2017. When I send a test email from the system/email tab I receive one. Running 9.10U5. I do receive emails from plex.py running in it's own jail. Any tips on how to track down this issue would be appreciated.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
I just realized that I don't receive emails from my freenas box anymore with smart tests or UPS poweroutage, or security output. The last one was 7/1/2017. When I send a test email from the system/email tab I receive one. Running 9.10U5. I do receive emails from plex.py running in it's own jail. Any tips on how to track down this issue would be appreciated.
Do you have the root user account configured with a good email address?

NasKar

Guru
Do you have the root user account configured with a good email address?
My root user does have my email address. I re entered my email password in the root user/modify user. I know you have to re enter the email pw in the system/email after a reboot. Do you have to do it in the root user/modify user as well after a reboot?

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
My root user does have my email address. I re entered my email password in the root user/modify user. I know you have to re enter the email pw in the system/email after a reboot. Do you have to do it in the root user/modify user as well after a reboot?
You should never have to re-enter the email account passwords.

The password field on the Account->Users form is the user's system login ID, which you use to log on to the system. The email address you enter for system account root receives most system messages. I say most, because you can specify a different email address for the UPS service status messages, for example, and there may be others as well that I don't recall at the moment.

To specify the email account used to actually send messages, go to System->Email and enter the 'from' email, outgoing mail server, etc. These settings are persistent; you don't have to re-enter them after a reboot.

NasKar

Guru
Any other ideas why I'm not getting notifications and can send a test email with my email set in root user?

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Any other ideas why I'm not getting notifications and can send a test email with my email set in root user?
Post the file /var/log/maillog in code tags. Also, post the output of grep smtp /var/log/debug.log, again in code tags.

NasKar

Guru
Post the file /var/log/maillog in code tags. Also, post the output of grep smtp /var/log/debug.log, again in code tags.
xxxx is my email and xxx1 is my email minus one digit. Not sure why it's missing a digit.
Code:
Jul  3 00:00:00 freenas newsyslog[26814]: logfile turned over
Jul  3 03:01:02 freenas find_alias_for_smtplib.py[34651]: sending mail to rootTo: root
Subject: freenas.local daily security run output

freenas.local changes in mounted filesystems:
8d7
< /mnt/v1/media		 /mnt/v1/jails
Jul  3 03:01:02 freenas find_alias_for_smtplib.py[34651]: sending mail to xxxx@gmail.comContent-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Subject: freenas.local daily security run outp
Jul  3 07:30:01 freenas find_alias_for_smtplib.py[47997]: sending mail to To: xxxx@gmail.com
Subject: SMART Status Report for FreeNAS
Content-Type: text/html

<pre style="font-size:14px">

###
Jul  3 07:30:01 freenas find_alias_for_smtplib.py[47997]: sending mail to xxxx@gmail.comContent-Type: text/html
Subject: SMART Status Report for FreeNAS
Jul  6 14:38:36 freenas find_alias_for_smtplib.py[50351]: sending mail to xxxx@gmail.comTo: xxxx@gmail.com
Subject: UPS report generated by freenas.local

ONBATT - ups
Jul  6 14:38:44 freenas find_alias_for_smtplib.py[50380]: sending mail to xxxx@gmail.comTo: xxxx@gmail.com

ONLINE - ups
Jul 18 15:08:56 freenas find_alias_for_smtplib.py[65851]: sending mail to xxxx@gmail.comTo: xxxx@gmail.com

ONBATT - ups
Jul 18 15:09:10 freenas find_alias_for_smtplib.py[65880]: sending mail to xxxx@gmail.comTo: xxxx@gmail.com

ONLINE - ups
Jul 20 07:35:38 freenas manage.py[3064]: sending mail to xxxx@gmail.comContent-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
Subject: Test message from FreeNAS
Jul 25 18:54:07 freenas manage.py[3066]: sending mail to xxxx@gmail.comContent-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
Jul 31 19:58:11 freenas manage.py[3066]: sending mail to xxxx@gmail.comContent-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
Aug  2 20:22:23 freenas manage.py[3066]: sending mail to xxxx@gmail.comContent-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
Aug  2 22:43:02 freenas manage.py[3066]: sending mail to xxxx@gmail.comContent-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
Aug  3 12:30:11 freenas manage.py[3066]: sending mail to xxxx@gmail.comContent-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
Aug  3 12:35:12 freenas manage.py[3066]: sending mail to xxxx@gmail.comContent-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"

Code:
grep smtp /var/log/debug.log
Jul  3 03:01:00 freenas sudo:	 root : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/root ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/etc/find_alias_for_smtplib.py -i root
Jul  3 07:30:00 freenas sudo:	 root : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/root ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/etc/find_alias_for_smtplib.py -t
Jul  6 14:38:34 freenas sudo:	 uucp : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/ ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/etc/find_alias_for_smtplib.py -i xxxx@gmail.com
Jul  6 14:38:44 freenas sudo:	 uucp : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/ ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/etc/find_alias_for_smtplib.py -i xxxx@gmail.com
Jul 18 15:08:54 freenas sudo:	 uucp : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/ ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/etc/find_alias_for_smtplib.py -i xxxx@gmail.com
Jul 18 15:09:09 freenas sudo:	 uucp : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/ ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/etc/find_alias_for_smtplib.py -i xxxx@gmail.com

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
xxxx is my email and xxx1 is my email minus one digit. Not sure why it's missing a digit.
'xxxx' is the email address you configured for the root user? And 'xxx1' is a different address you configured in System->Email?

NasKar

Guru
The email address is the same in all locations, System/email, root user and UPS. Don't know why it showed up in the log in missing one of the digits. Just updated to U6. Still showing the missing digit in the email in the From: xxx1@gmail.com, all other references to my email are correct in the log.

Last edited:

NasKar

Guru
Changed to a different email address and now it works. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.