Editing SMB share Location Strips Permissions

daave

Cadet
Hello, I'm using TrueNAS-13.0-U4 as a virtual machine.

Platform: Generic
Version: TrueNAS-13.0-U4
RAM: 16GB

I migrated some ZFS datasets to different disks using the replication feature - no problem there.

Now, I would like to "point" my SMB shares to the new location, but when I edit them and specify the new location, I am prompted to set up permissions and it seems the existing permissions I had set up are missing. Is this by design? Is there a way to repoint the SMB share locations without losing all the permissions? Is there a way to manually edit the SMB config?

Thanks in advance.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Hello, I'm using TrueNAS-13.0-U4 as a virtual machine.

Platform: Generic
Version: TrueNAS-13.0-U4
RAM: 16GB

I migrated some ZFS datasets to different disks using the replication feature - no problem there.

Now, I would like to "point" my SMB shares to the new location, but when I edit them and specify the new location, I am prompted to set up permissions and it seems the existing permissions I had set up are missing. Is this by design? Is there a way to repoint the SMB share locations without losing all the permissions? Is there a way to manually edit the SMB config?

Thanks in advance.
The permissions are local filesystem permissions (not share-related). New path == new directory == different permissions.

daave

Cadet
Thanks, @anodos. I actually replicated the ZFS datasets, so they come with all the permissions built-in. But also, I think there are two kinds of permissions for an SMB share: "Share ACL" and "Filesystem ACL." I'm referring to the share permissions.

Screen Shot 2023-08-21 at 11.47.40 AM.png

Those should not change after pointing to a new directory, should they?