Noob having issues with SMB share

TXLoco

Cadet
Hello, noob here. Using Core 13.0-U5 on a Dell R720

I am new to TrueNAS but I have gotten it up and running (network, pool/raid, users). I am trying to setup simple shares for a small network. I used to use a Win10 machine setting up simple file shares that users could "log in" using "Other Credentials" (manually) and then map the share to a local drive. Some people had read and write but a few had just read permissions. I am trying to setup my TrueNAS machine the same way. No active directory, no windows login/authentication, but using SMB authentication ( I have some manufacturing machines that need to access the "server" that way).

I have a pool setup and then added datasets (with share type SMB selected on each dataset) underneath it

POOL
- DS1
- DS2
- DS3 etc....

My question is, Where do I go to setup the permissions for each user? I have tried various methods but sometimes I end up with a dataset under say DS1 that is named the user name I just gave permissions (I think that happens when I try to edit the permissions under the DS1 dataset for example). I can find documentation for setting up shares but I think it sets it up as a fully open share ( I don't want that).

Does it happen under Storage? Under Shares? Should I select "Private SMB Datasets and Shares" under /Sharing/SMB/Add OR "Default share type" ??

Perhaps I just haven't found the right docs to tell me. Any help, links, or a push in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!!

TXLoco

Cadet
Thank you for answering. I did figure it out.

I was selecting "Private SMB Dataset...." and it was creating datasets under the share dataset (not what I wanted). I should have been selecting Default Share Type.

Also, I figured out the permissions are setup under the datasets, not under the SMB share.

I'm sure I'll have more questions but so far so good.