Resource icon

Editing files in FreeNAS simple, and easy with "ee"

nightshade00013 submitted a new resource:

Editing files in FreeNAS simple, and easy with "ee" - A simple way to edit files without installing extra editors and the hassle of remembering commands

So for a simple and easy way to edit files on FreeNAS just type "edit" yep, no need to try and remember all kinds of stuff like in vi or install yet another package like nano.

It works in jails perfectly and honestly is so simple I am surprised it isn't used more often. It works well using SSH but to use it in the webgui is a pain.

You will literally get a super simple interface

Code:
^[ (escape) menu ^y search prompt ^k delete line   ^p prev li	 ^g prev page
^o ascii code	^x search		^l...

Read more about this resource...

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I've always found the editor wars to be fought by those who will fight for cryptic user-hostile software and those who will fight for software that will do literally anything because damn the OS, they want their text editor to be their sole interaction with the world.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I still think that aliens won't invite us into their club after seeing vi and Emacs. They might not even get to Emacs if they start with vi, not being able to close it and all.

vi is the rare piece of software that is as incomprehensible to an alien as it is to a human.

I still think that aliens won't invite us into their club after seeing vi and Emacs. They might not even get to Emacs if they start with vi, not being able to close it and all.

vi is the rare piece of software that is as incomprehensible to an alien as it is to a human.

I agree, but since it's installed on the system already and a lot of tutorials point to vi (shudders and cringes while hearing Alfred Hitchcock killing time music) or installing something else I would throw this one out there. Plus a lot of newbies don't know how to edit the files so we may as well put something together.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
since it's installed on the system already and a lot of tutorials point to vi
And it's the default editor. Just try to make a crontab entry for the first time and your stuck in vi hell.

Luckily that's easily changed setenv editor ee

lukyjay

Contributor
At first I hated ee, it was no nano. But now I've been forced to use it and learn, I prefer it over nano because of that useful menu at the top.

Thanks for the resource, friend.

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
What no love for nano? That is my preferred editor, cuz vi is too hard for my little brain....

Edit: Maybe I am missing something, because I still have nano in my 9.10 version...

What no love for nano? That is my preferred editor, cuz vi is too hard for my little brain....

Edit: Maybe I am missing something, because I still have nano in my 9.10 version...

Maybe if I worked with something all the time I would remember the shortcuts. Kinda like making a new folder is Ctrl-Shift-N but since I rarely edit files remembering how to save or exit is a pain.

As far as nano being installed it probably is. But just try "edit" and then a filename and see if it is the default. I literally stumbled on ee by mistake by typing edit and a file and it opened up. Once I figured that out whenever someone wrote something saying install vi or nano to edit I was happy to skip a step and get the job done.

danb35

Hall of Famer
As far as nano being installed it probably is.
It is, though it isn't part of the default jail template. I don't know how far back this has been the case, but at least to 9.10.

Text editors seem to be almost a matter of religion in the *nix world, and I'm honestly not sure why. But for those who aren't vi wizards, or emacs gurus, something simple like ee or nano is helpful.

Last edited:

joeschmuck

Old Man
I really like "ee", I use it in all of my detailed instructions for users, I even tell them to press the ESC key and press Return/Enter twice to save the file. "vi" just sucks if you don't use it all the time, but I work with people who do use "vi" and to them it's great. It just doesn't seem to be very intuitive to me.

@nightshade00013
Please don't take this the wrong way but I'm not sure why we need a "Resource" for "ee", especially in it's present form where is has virtually no informational value. I would request that you expand the resource to include a handful of frequently used steps and examples. I also like the part that @Jailer stated about how to change the default editor, that should be added in as well, and what about that surviving a reboot?

I am being sincere when I say that my feedback is constructive, not meant to tick you off, you being here and reading my posts then I'm sure you know I generally don't pick on people. Please expand on what you started and I think it would be a good reference. I'd also add in a link to the FreeBSD MAN page for "ee(1)".

Jailer

Not strong, but bad

joeschmuck

Old Man
It does in a jail. Never had a reason to try on the base system.
That is good to know. It would be nice on the base system for things like crontab. There isn't much to edit on the base system. Of course a script could handle that on the base system as well.

SMnasMAN

Contributor
i love nano (hate vi), and am learning ee now bc of FN. ee seems ok so far. one BURNING question (i cant even find answer to with google):

HOW do you save a file in ee but NOT exit the app? like ctrl+o in nano

i feel like a fool , every time i want to save a file in ee i have to exit app via the esc + a + a (or i now see i can just hit return twice)

(also, any way to get my darling nano installed to FN shell , with reboot persistance? i know FN updates will kill it, but im fine w that)

edit: im reading DO NOT install pkgs direcly into FN / shell - does this apply for something small with few to 0 extra dependicies, like nano
(my poor nano :(

tks

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
(also, any way to get my darling nano installed to FN shell
Yes, simply install FreeNAS--nano is part of the base distribution (as I posted in March).

SMnasMAN

Contributor
wtf! i know ive tried running nano in FN shell/ssh before and got not found! (fn 11.1 stable)

but it is there! awesome! thanks.