SOLVED dropping to bin/sh

Status
Not open for further replies.

elangley

Contributor
Hello All,

After installing 9.2 fresh download from a CD to USB drive and booting to the USB drive I get:
(last two lines)
da0: quirks=0x2<no_6_byte>
dropping to /bin/sh

So it does not boot to the OS.

It's a SuperMicro PDSMU MB

What can I look for?

TIA,

~eric

joeschmuck

Old Man
Since it says da0, try to install to another USB flash drive. And you are not using a USB 3.0 connector, right? Also you could try a different USB socket. Lastly is the MB BIOS upgrade to the latest version. I'd do it in that order.

elangley

Contributor
Sorry, the next to last line is actually:
mount: /dev/ufs/FreeNASs3: No such file or directory

The installer must be failing to setup this mount.

USB 2.0
Same result on a different USB port.

I can try another USB stick

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
That's weird. FreeNASs3 is the 3rd partition, right, and it's only in use (I thought) during a version-to-version upgrade...(I could be wrong about that).

I think I'd start fresh. Your USB drive is 4GB or more, right?

elangley

Contributor
It's a 7GB.

I installed fresh from the CD after wiping the drive.

Same result.

I don't have another drive to test with right now. Pick one up tomorrow...

elangley

Contributor
Update: Picked up another 8GB Flash drive and installed FreeNAS 9.2 x64 from CD

Now I get: boot: NO /boot/kernel/kernel
with the following at the top of the boot scree
F1 FreeNAS
F2 FreeNAS
F6 PXE

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
You might have a look at this or perhaps this. There are about 6 other similar posts, and a whole slew of posts that might be relevant. In most cases, the error appears to stem from insufficient/incompatible hardware, bad hardware, or the user not having the appropriate BIOS settings. In your case, I suspect a BIOS setting preventing a proper boot from USB drive.

joeschmuck

Old Man
DrKK is correct, it is likely a hardware issue. Have you ever had FreeNAS running in the past on this system? Last thing... Could you please list your hardware in detail please.

elangley

Contributor
The box is a SuperMicro PDSMU with 8GB of RAM and a 3Ware 8port RAID controller with 8 exported discs. The FreeNAS installer sees 9 drives, the 8 spinning discs and the flash drive. It installs successfully to the flash drive.

Previously this box was booted into VMware ESXi 4.1 from a USB stick, the same stick that I first tried with FreeNAS, with no issues. So I know the box can boot from USB.

I am going to try installing to a hard disc.

elangley

Contributor
Update: I removed all of the RAID hardware and all but one SATA drive. I also reflashed the most recent BIOS from SuperMicro. Booting to the USB drive still drops to bin/sh. Attached is screen shot.

Should I open a bug ticket?

20140121_183112.jpg

joeschmuck

Old Man
Did you recreate the USB Flash drive? Looks like it can't find all the partitions like the original problem. Did you ever try from a hard drive? Just curious since you mentioned it above.

Before opening a ticket please write down the step by step process you used to create the USB flash drive. Pretend I'm so new and computer illiterate that you must explain to me how to do it step by step. This will help us know if you did this correctly. And don't take this as if I'm calling you an idiot, I have to treat everyone as if they have no clue in order to provide them the best advice. When I assume they know something well that is where it bites us in the ass.

elangley

Contributor
joeschmuck,

Thanks for the quick reply. I agree, let's not assume anything. That just leads to more problems...

Here is some more about what I have done:
FreeNAS was installed to three different USB flash drives that were formatted in Windows as FAT32.
Tested installing to two separate identical PDSMU's. Both of which will not boot past; mount: /dev/ufs/FreeNASs3

So just now I attempted to install to a local disk. I tried four different disks. It would not install with the following error:
View attachment 3369

Hmm, that is strange.

So I downloaded the img file and burned it directly to the flash drive.

It booted but stopped at:
20140122_081012.jpg

To make sure that the img file was not corrupted I grabbed a Dell Precision 490 Workstation and loaded the USB imaged drive on it.

It booted up properly and presented me with a web page.

So I am beginning to think that FreeNAS does not like PDSMU!

Attachments

• 20140122_074254.jpg
    20140122_074254.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 330

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I was going to say that the PDSMU looks like its not exactly FreeBSD friendly based on my 5 minute google search.

joeschmuck

Old Man
LOL, Cyberjock you crack me up. We all know you are no fluffy kitty. I think you need to change to an animated avatar which morphs from a kitten to an attack dog, that would be funny.

Yes, it looks like you have tried everything you could do to make this computer work and it doesn't look like it will cooperate. Which I knew something else to try.

warri

Guru
LOL, Cyberjock you crack me up. We all know you are no fluffy kitty. I think you need to change to an animated avatar which morphs from a kitten to an attack dog, that would be funny.

Haha that threw me off a bit as well. Classical wolf in a sheep's skin tactic ;)

Sorry about the off topic - I'm out of here again.

Status
Not open for further replies.