DrKK's Definitive Guide to Installing OwnCloud in FreeNAS (or FreeBSD)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chakalov

Explorer
Hello Dr. KK,

Thank a million for your video tutorial! I'm able to run a perfect ownCloud server because of your shared knowledge.

Nevertheless I still have a little problem, though. I can't make ipfw service work. When I try to start it up it says "permission denied" on every rule that I've instructed. I would like to make the jail more complete as adding fail2ban functionality and it's based on ipfw so I'm kind of stuck right now.

Any ideas? Thank you in advance!!!

p.s.
could be the missing Vimage check when creating the jail?

p.p.s
Yeap, that was it. Problem solved, moving on configuring Fail2Ban. ;)

Last edited:

nanopete

Dabbler
Look, your strategy appears to be to "expose your OwnCloud interface to the internet". Then you want to make that as safe as possible. I recommend setting up some kind of tunnel/virtual network, which is designed to be secure, and then using that to access OwnCloud.
I actually think that's my best video; but it is the least popular.

Hi Dr KK, thank you for this guide and the DNS video one :)
I'm was very interested in OwnCloud and just about to dive in before I looked into the safety.
I would only use OwnCloud to the extent that I could use it over the internet, and not only me, my less tech-sawy girlfriend as well. I was hoping to use it with the ease of dropbox, not thinking about it and letting it automatically sync when online somewhere.
But if I understand you correctly I cannot use it safely over the internet without VPN/SSH?
Unless I'm feeling lucky....

Thank you :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Chakalov

Explorer
Just for the record the technical university in Berlin has recently made one of the largest ownCloud installation for the use of their students so I suppose the product itself should be pretty trust worthy. Security-wise I personally wouldn't be so much concerned after of course all essential security measures are taken into account. Also most of the times ownCloud is isolated in a Jail with no access to the rest of the (more sensitive) data on your home NAS so that could be considered as a relief. Fail2ban is also working properly blocking every suspicious login attempt....

Will be interesting to hear other thoughts.

Last edited:

Chakalov

Explorer
I would like to use ownCloud for 5-6 users who will be sharing about 30k small files (docs, pdf, excel etc.) running in a jail on latest Freenas with AMD Turion dual-core 1.5GHz with 6GB of RAM. As DrKK said lighttpd can handle small amount of files so I was wondering if this is a good decision at all and shall I fail to deliver quality of the service?

whatnissan

Dabbler
Stupid question but how do you access own cloud from the internet if you have more than 1 jail?

whatnissan

Dabbler
Can you include instructions to get ssl working.. I almost have it but I can not acces my server from the internet also.. and mine is using port 80 even with all the settings set for ssl like you have them

1RoH

Dabbler
Can you include instructions to get ssl working.. I almost have it but I can not acces my server from the internet also.. and mine is using port 80 even with all the settings set for ssl like you have them
first do this https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/owncloud-ssl-self-signed-certs.15187/
then you need to change force ssl = true in config.php i think, let me check

***EDIT*****
in your owncloud jail cd to cd /usr/pbi/owncloud-amd64/www/owncloud/config and edit config.php and add line if its not already there 'forcessl' => false,

whatnissan

Dabbler
I got it all configured but i cant use ssl the instructrions drkk provided do not work at least on 9.3 other than that good writeup thanks! Anyone know why it won't work on ssl for me?

Last edited:

whatnissan

Dabbler
im not using apache im using lighttpd. I still havent figured it out im going to look more in to it has anyone else had any issues on freenas 9.3 with this setup getting ssl to work?

whatnissan

Dabbler
I finally got it thanks drkk . I think im going to move mine to mysql though i want something maybe a little more robust. because im going to use a file syncing app..

Reactions: ric

whatnissan

Dabbler
OK Drkk I need help here.. or anyone . So I was able to acces it from my verizon iphone and really anydevice that i had no problem. but if a friend tried to access the link one in florida and one in houston like me they can not pull up the cloud.. Also does the owncloud app crash alot for people? This own cloud install isnt working how I thought it would so far. I set up ddns and from the ip or ddns now i cant access it at work or on my phone. Im not quite sure whats going as to why some people can access the server and why some can not. Any ideas???

My trouble shooting leads me to believe it has to do with the cert. It always shows up as not trusted. I need to do more reasearch on how to fix that anyone?

Last edited:

jerryjharrison

Explorer
DrKK,

First of all, thanks for the exceptional video. I got mine up and running with no problems whatsoever with your video. I have added SSL support, and made it mandatory within OwnCloud. I set Lighttpd to use some oddball ports, and all seems to be working swimmingly.

Quick question for you. I am opening the oddball ports up on my firewall to pass through to the OwnCloud Jail. With this and the required use of SSL, are there any other security items you would consider required. The OwnCloud system is not going to be housing any super critical data, but I would prefer it not get hijacked anyway.

Matdif

Explorer
Just did this and everything worked fine until the end. When I opened owncloud and the video showed 2Mb max I had 513Mb max. After changing the file as instructed in the video I am still stuck at 513Mb. I googled and apparently some people have had problems with a .htaccess file overriding and sticking people at 513Mb. However since I am using lighttpb I dont think I have htacces files. Anyone know where another setting might be that is overriding me?

Edit: Next day now I found the info in another thread somewhere. If anyone comes across this there is a file
/usr/local/www/owncloud/.user.ini

That file had the same settings in it and was keeping me stuck at a default 513Mb. Change that and it will fix the problem at least it did for me.

Last edited:

labtopia

Dabbler
after 3 versions of insuccessful pbi update 6-7-8 and rebuilds, i took the plunge- great tut and it marched me through a good install! only thing i had to do was add my external ip alias address to the usr/local/www/owncloud/config/config.php to get rid of the untrusted domain

thanks! great tut!

ric

Contributor
I finally got it thanks drkk . I think im going to move mine to mysql though i want something maybe a little more robust. because im going to use a file syncing app..
I'd like to see how you did this.

Last edited:

Alokm

Cadet
Wonderful guide... I couldn't have installed FreeNas without your help.... faced a few changes in FreeNAS 9.3

1. in the changes mentioned for nano /usr/local/etc/pkg.conf - Packagesite and pubkey references do not exist anymore...
  1. PACKAGESITE: http://pkg.cdn.pcbsd.org/9.1-RELEASE/amd64
  2. PUBKEY: /usr/local/etc/pkg-pubkey.cert
  3. PKG_CACHEDIR: /usr/local/tmp
2.In the changes for nano /usr/local/etc/php.ini I had made the necessary changes but the upload size remained stuck at 513M and I could not change it till one of the good members of this forum pointed out editing /usr/pbi/owncloud-amd64/www/owncloud/.htaccess lines:
THIS helped....

php_value upload_max_filesize
php_value post_max_size
php_value memory_limit (it must be 1 less than upper lines - DrKK guide)

Thanks once again....
Alok

Bmck26

Dabbler
I just installed owncloud again using the video guide. I have done this install a couple times to test it out. I already have the plugin version installed and secured with SSL but I wanted a lighter install. When I installed with pkg, it installed v8.0.3, which isn't the latest version. So, I thought no big deal, ownCloud has it's own updater in the GUI. However, when I tried to run the updater app I get a message saying "Make sure that your web server has write access to the following files and directories:" and about a million files are listed. Has anyone ran into this when trying to use the Updater app in the GUI?

Status
Not open for further replies.