Drives on Raid card not visiable after reinstallation of TrueNas

SunnyG

Dabbler
Hello,

I have run into an odd issue.
The boot drive of my TrueNas system started to fail, I therefore replaced the drive and performed a new installation of TrueNas 12.0 U5. After the installation I attached all my Pool drives, and restored the configuration from a backup.

However under storage > Disks I am nolonger able to see the disks that are attached to my RAID controller:
Disks.jpg

Those listed above are connected directly to my motherboard,

However under Pools, the Pools shpw online and available:

pool.jpg

Both Pools above make use of disks on the Raid controller, in Pool Manager, i do see 1 drive on the Raid controller that has not been assigned yet:
pm.jpg

Is there a setting or something that I am missing that is preventing the disks from showing under Disks?

thanks
Sunny

NugentS

MVP
I rather suspect your RAID Controller is causing you issues.
You should not be using Hardware RAID on TrueNAS.
I suggest:
1. Back up your data
2. Throw away the Intel Raid Controller and use an LSI one in IT Mode
3. Re-create your pools and restore your data

Note your enby pool is degraded anyway.

SunnyG

Dabbler
I rather suspect your RAID Controller is causing you issues.
You should not be using Hardware RAID on TrueNAS.
I suggest:
1. Back up your data
2. Throw away the Intel Raid Controller and use an LSI one in IT Mode
3. Re-create your pools and restore your data

Note your enby pool is degraded anyway.
Forgot to mention that the raid controller is configured as pass through so has no raid's configured.

The emby Pooll is going to be removed, as the data is currently being moved toanother drive local to my emby server.

I'll look into a LSI controller in IT mode, problem with the motherboard is its limited on expansion slots.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
Forgot to mention that the raid controller is configured as pass through so has no raid's configured.
It still adds a layer of indirection. As @NugentS wrote, it is likely the cause of your issues. Please also read the "Don't use RAID" from the recommended readings in my signature.

jgreco

Resident Grinch

Still a RAID controller. There are numerous issues with RAID controllers, most of them not being actual usage of RAID, but rather firmware and driver quality issues, handling of exceptional conditions, etc. Your card will still have all those issues regardless of "raid's configured".

See https://www.truenas.com/community/r...bas-and-why-cant-i-use-a-raid-controller.139/

I'll look into a LSI controller in IT mode, problem with the motherboard is its limited on expansion slots.

Can you possibly put it into the slot currently occupied by the RAID controller?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Can you possibly put it into the slot currently occupied by the RAID controller?
It looks like it's an SAS2008-based thing. It can probably even be crossflashed to an HBA.

SunnyG

Dabbler
Still a RAID controller. There are numerous issues with RAID controllers, most of them not being actual usage of RAID, but rather firmware and driver quality issues, handling of exceptional conditions, etc. Your card will still have all those issues regardless of "raid's configured".

See https://www.truenas.com/community/r...bas-and-why-cant-i-use-a-raid-controller.139/

Unfortunately not the Intel RMS2AF080, has a proprietary connection to the motherboard as it's a designated "daughter" board.

I've ordered a Fujitsu 9211-8i of ebay which is flashed to IT Mode, I'll see if that makes a difference, should take about 3/4 weeks to arrive

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Unfortunately not the Intel RMS2AF080, has a proprietary connection to the motherboard as it's a designated "daughter" board.
But it can probably be crossflashed. Look into it.

SunnyG

Dabbler

NugentS

MVP
If you can crossflash it to IT mode - then please ignore my Throw it away suggestion.
:smile:

SunnyG

Dabbler
So i tried to flash the firmware of the RMS2AF080 RAID Controller, unfortunately when running sas2flsh in dos I get the error "failed to initialize pal", I then proceeded to try from the UEFI shell but sas2flsh -listall returned no results, I also could not see any option in the bios to turn of UEFI and use Legacy, therefore I thinks its safe to assume the card can't be flashed to IT mode. I will look into to it further when i have the time.

Thank you all for your help

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
sas2flash often doesn't work with SAS 9240 cards like this one, there's another application that's used for the first cleaning step.