Drives not showing up via HBA card

Minemac2

Dabbler
I have a drive in a NetApp DS4246 disk shelf connected via a SAS3801E HBA and a QSFP to mini SAS 8088 cable. When I power on the disk shelf I get a message on the screen that it has been detected then it goes away and I don't see the disk showing up in the web UI. I am running the latest version on Truenas Scale that I just installed.

Any Help is appreciated. Thanks!

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity

Minemac2

Dabbler
I looked through that, did not find anything that helped me, I believe I have everything hooked up as suggested, I have tried moving the cables to different ports but not change. Here is what I see when I power up the shelf, after this is just reloads the standard options
View recent photos.png

Samuel Tai

With NetApps, you have to do a bunch of configuration on the shelf itself to present disks to external controllers, using the ONTAP CLI interface on the shelf itself. TrueNAS doesn't see any disks because the shelf isn't configured to do so. The shelf also has to be cabled correctly.

Minemac2

Dabbler
With NetApps, you have to do a bunch of configuration on the shelf itself to present disks to external controllers, using the ONTAP CLI interface on the shelf itself. TrueNAS doesn't see any disks because the shelf isn't configured to do so. The shelf also has to be cabled correctly.
I just tried installing Truenas core and it is detecting the drive but only like half the capacity, it is a 4TB drive and showing 2TiB of capacity.

Samuel Tai

This thread may help.

2 TiB sounds like the 32-bit limit. Is your CPU 32 or 64-bit?

Minemac2

Dabbler
I didn't change anything on the shelf between installs so that leads me to believe that there
This thread may help.

2 TiB sounds like the 32-bit limit. Is your CPU 32 or 64-bit?
Looks like my HBA has a 2TiB limit for SATA drives but can do larger SAS drives. My drive is SATA.

Any Suggestions for affordable HBA that can do larger drives on Truenas scale?

NickF

Guru
You want an LSI 9207-8e

There are cheaper vendors out there, but this guys only sells real stuff and not chinese knockoffs/clones. It has 8088 connectors, so your existing cables will work.