Doubt with snapshot storage path

s3r3ft

Dabbler
How about, my problem is that I set a snapshot for my folder. But I do not know where the copies are stored, so that in the future I can restore them.

img_6820-14-jpg.30003

Attachments

• IMG_6820 (14).JPG
    IMG_6820 (14).JPG
    333.2 KB · Views: 639

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
The snapshots are stored within the filesystem. There is a menu option in the GUI for managing them where you can roll back to a snapshot or I think you can mount a snapshot. There is also this that you might want to look at:
https://www.ixsystems.com/community/threads/smb-permission-on-zfs-folder.70733/#post-489127

You can also list the snapshots from the command line with zfs [I]list[/I] -t snapshot and even though I have not done it with FreeNAS, it should be possible to mount a snapshot from the CLI. I used to do that on Linux when I had a RedHat server running ZoL.

The thing I have had to do most often is mount a snapshot so a user could recover some file that they mistakenly deleted. What a snapshot effectively does is mark the data on disk so that it is not deleted. It is a pretty complex thing. All data blocks in the ZFS pool have a time stamp associated to them and the system can mark them to be retained, even though the user thinks it is deleted, it still exists in the snapshot. I could write about it for longer than I want to spend on this question. Please review some documentation on how ZFS works. The information is out there.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer