Does or will SCALE support LXC/LXD?

BitByteBit

Dabbler
Hi Community

I've been reading the documentation for SCALE and see the "L" in SCALE refers to "Linux Containers", however, I can't find any reference to LXC / LXD support.
Does / will SCALE support LXC / LXD, or will you have to install in manually via apt / snap (with risk of breaking something)?

Thank you

BitByteBit

Dabbler
Bump...
From further reading it looks like LXC / LXD it may not be exposed via GUI (at least initially)? But would I be able to install snapd and then LXD snap, without breaking SCALE, and would a SCALE update potentially erase LXD?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
If you want LXC like features, you might be better off with TrueNAS CORE and FreeBSD jails.

tloesche

Cadet
In the devnotes (https://www.truenas.com/docs/scale/devnotes/) it says:
SCALE allows Kubernetes to be disabled. The user will then have access to the native container services within Debian. This will include Docker, LXC (Q1 2021) or any other Kubernetes distribution. There will be a Container Storage Interface (CSI) that can couple the container services with the SCALE storage capabilities. Users can script these capabilities and then use 3rd-party tools like Portainer to manage them. This approach can be used in SCALE 20.10 and later.
So at least LXC will be available on CLI. Unfortunately I couldn't yet find any guides on how to utilize this.

As beagle already stated: feel free to make a feature request. Or add to mine ;-)

BitByteBit

Dabbler
Thanks everyone, and the devnotes do sounds promising @tloesche - I'll have to experiment further with the SCALE Beta.
Regarding using FreeBSD jails in CORE, agreed that is the functionality I'm after ("persistent OS containers so to speak"), however, the apps I'm hoping to use seem to be better supported or easier to install and maintain under Linux...

ornias

Wizard
In the devnotes (https://www.truenas.com/docs/scale/devnotes/) it says:

So at least LXC will be available on CLI. Unfortunately I couldn't yet find any guides on how to utilize this.

As beagle already stated: feel free to make a feature request. Or add to mine ;-)
This is not completely true, what is meant in that devnote is that it isn't actively prevented to run plain docker or LXC. Not that it's actively supported or would survive updates or reboots.