Can SCALE be used as an NTP server?

Patrick_3000

Contributor
I currently have a local NTP server using NTPD running in Linux Mint on a small fanless computer. However, I have virtualized almost everything in KVM on SCALE and am planning to phase out the Mint computer. I'm also in the process of virtualizing OPNsense on SCALE, after which there will be nothing left in the way of physical computers on my network other than my two SCALE servers, laptops and mobile devices.

The problem is the NTP server. From what I've read, NTP servers shouldn't be virtualized, and I'd like to maintain one locally to synchronize everything on my network with low latency.

Does anyone know of a way to set up SCALE as an NTP server? Either directly through the UI or through an app? Of course, I could probably just install NTPD on SCALE at the CLI over SSH, since it's built on Debian just as Mint ultimately is. However, I don't want to start doing anything on SCALE that's not part of the GUI because I don't want to risk breaking anything.

Alternatively, does anyone know if there's a way to use a VM in SCALE KVM for an NTP server? I've seen threads saying that VMs should never be used as NTP servers, but they're mostly older threads.

Patrick_3000

Contributor
You are much better off running a NTP server on your firewall.

I use https://pfsense.org on an https://protectli.com appliance with a Garmin 18X GPS server. I achieve <10usec offset/jitter.
As I said, I'm in the process of virtualizing my firewall (OPNsense) on SCALE, so that's unlikely to work. (And I know the arguments pro and con for virtualizing a firewall and have decided to do so because it makes sense in my setup.)

if I need to leave the small fanless Mint computer up and running to serve as an NTP server, then I'll do so. It only consumes around 10 watts of power. However, if there's a way to use SCALE, then I'd rather do so, and in any case, I have SCALE installed on server grade hardware so it would probably be more accurate as an NTP server anyway.

Last edited:

Patrick_3000

Contributor
I'm starting to get an idea how to do this. I believe that I may be able to install a docker container in SCALE that I can use as an NTP server. I've never used docker containers before, so there will be a bit of a learning curve, but it seems this may be the best way to do this. I believe there is even one off the shelf that I can use as an NTP server based on a search I did.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I'm starting to get an idea how to do this. I believe that I may be able to install a docker container in SCALE that I can use as an NTP server. I've never used docker containers before, so there will be a bit of a learning curve, but it seems this may be the best way to do this. I believe there is even one off the shelf that I can use as an NTP server based on a search I did.
It's generally not a good idea to have the host depend on anything (DNS, NTP, etc) running in an app / vm.

Patrick_3000

Contributor
It's generally not a good idea to have the host depend on anything (DNS, NTP, etc) running in an app / vm.
I generally agree. However, if the local NTP server is one, among several, NTP servers in the host's list, then I don't believe that would be a problem. If the app, VM, or docker container is offline (which it certainly would be while the host is booting), then the host would go to another ntp server on the list, which would be on a remote network, and use that instead, even though the local NTP server would be preferred.

Arwen

MVP
There are dedicated NTP appliances that are not outrageously expensive;
CenterClick NTP200 and NTP250 GPS Based NTP Server Appliance
I have no connection to that company, nor have I used their product, (yet).

It is small enough to fit most places, and low power enough for most people. As far as accuracy is concerned, it is probably noticeably more accurate than your existing NTPD server. And would certainly be more accurate than a VM or App. The only real down side from a VM or App, is that it needs a network port.