When I try to upgrade Ubuntu, I'm told that I don't have enough space:
Code:
nello@ubuntu16:~$ sudo apt-get upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree	   
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
The following packages will be upgraded:
  apparmor cloud-initramfs-copymods cloud-initramfs-dyn-netconf distro-info-data firefox gir1.2-dbusmenu-glib-0.4 gir1.2-networkmanager-1.0 gnome-calculator gnome-software gnome-software-common grub-legacy-ec2 im-config init init-system-helpers initramfs-tools initramfs-tools-bin initramfs-tools-core isc-dhcp-client isc-dhcp-common kbd klibc-utils language-pack-en libapparmor-perl libapparmor1 libappstream-glib8 libc-bin libc-dev-bin libc6 libc6-dbg libc6-dev libdbusmenu-glib4 libdbusmenu-gtk3-4 libdbusmenu-gtk4 libklibc liblightdm-gobject-1-0 liblxc1 libmysqlclient20 libnm-glib-vpn1 libnm-glib4 libnm-util2 libnm0 libpam-systemd libqt5core5a libqt5dbus5 libqt5gui5 libqt5network5 libqt5opengl5 libqt5printsupport5 libqt5sql5 libqt5sql5-sqlite libqt5test5 libqt5widgets5 libqt5xml5 libsystemd0 libudev1 lightdm linux-firmware locales lxc-common lxcfs lxd lxd-client multiarch-support mysql-common network-manager open-iscsi overlayroot python3-distupgrade python3-update-manager snap-confine snapd systemd systemd-sysv thunderbird thunderbird-gnome-support tzdata ubuntu-core-launcher ubuntu-release-upgrader-core ubuntu-release-upgrader-gtk ubuntu-software udev update-manager update-manager-core vlan xserver-common  xserver-xephyr xserver-xorg-core
87 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 161 MB of archives.
After this operation, 686 kB of additional disk space will be used.
E: You don't have enough free space in /var/cache/apt/archives/.

Yes, I tried sudo apt-get clean

Is there another way to get rid of unnecessary backups or caches?

I'm thinking that I need to increase the disk space for this VM. Does that make sense?

How do I do it? Can I use resize without damaging the VM guest installation? I found this description of resize:
Code:
resize
Resizes a disk. THIS CAN BREAK THINGS ON THE GUEST.
Usage: 'iohyve resize <name> <diskN> <size>' where <name> is
the name of the guest, <diskN> is the disk you would
like to remove from the guest, and <size> is the size
of the virtual block device in '16G' format where the
capital G signifies gigabytes.
See 'iohyve disks' for a list of disks for a guest

What is "'16G' format"?

Code:
admin@OctoberGroupNAS] /% sudo iohyve disks ubusrv16
Listing  disks  for  ubusrv16...
diskN	Size
disk0	20G
[admin@OctoberGroupNAS] /% 

m0nkey_

MVP
Yes, you can add another virtual disk and use LVM (only if you setup the VM to use this in the first place):
add Adds a new disk to the guest.

Usage: 'iohyve add <name> <size> [pool]' where <name> is the name of the guest, <size> is the size of the virtual block device in '16G' format where the capital G signifies gigabytes. If pool is specified, the disk gets added on that pool
Or resize:
resize Resizes a disk. THIS CAN BREAK THINGS ON THE GUEST.

Usage: 'iohyve resize <name> <diskN> <size>' where <name> is the name of the guest, <diskN> is the disk you would like to remove from the guest, and <size> is the size of the virtual block device in '16G' format where the capital G signifies gigabytes. See 'iohyve disks' for a list of disks for a guest
https://github.com/pr1ntf/iohyve/blob/master/iohyve.8.txt

If you resize, you then have to fdisk the partition within the VM, delete the partition and re-create it using the same starting sector and ending in the last sector. CAUTION: YOU HAVE TO BE VERY CAREFUL HERE. Do this step wrong, you destroy the VM. Take a snapshot of the zvol before proceeding.

Once you have done that, you can use resize2fs to extend the ext[2/3/4] volume.

Edit: Ubuntu typically puts the swap partition at the end of the disk. You will need to turn swap off (using: swapoff /dev/sda[n]) and then erase the swap volume. When you re-create your partition, make sure you leave enough space for swap.

Once you've done that, you'll need to run blkid and update /etc/fstab.

Last edited:

adrianwi

Guru
I've just found this and tried to use the principles to resize a bhyve ubuntu VM. I found the following useful in terms of some of the steps, which I am blatantly plagiarising below!

WARNING - DO NOT FOLLOW THIS AS ALTHOUGH IT LOOKED TO WORK IT DOESNT

SEE POST BELOW

*** Deleted incorrect steps here ***

Last edited:

adrianwi

Guru
Status
Not open for further replies.