Does FreeNAS support 4TB drives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinceg

Cadet
I'm about to build a FreeNAS system. I'm currently running two Synology NASes (DS410s) that each have four 2TB drives formatted as RAID 5 for about 11TB total usable (16T raw with both NASes). I use them for video content to serve HTPCs via XBMC in my home. Both Synology units nearly full. The power supply on one unit just died and took out two (!) drives, leaving me with almost 5TB of lost data and an enormous number of DVDs to unbox and re-rip. You all already knew that having RAID 5 doesn't mean you don't need to do backups. Now, I do too. Apparently, the poor quality of this particular supply and its very custom power connector is well known (didn't do enough homework). I'm realizing that I don't like not being able to maintain the system or have easy access to high quality construction and replacement parts. Hence, the decision to move to a homebuilt NAS running FreeNAS. I've always built my own PCs and have had many good experiences. I'll use the Synology units for backup (raw, not RAID) after I get the new NAS running.

Sorry -- enough background. I'm thinking that I would like to build an array of 5 or 6 of the 4TB Hitachi drives on Newegg. In searching around in these forums and the FreeNAS docs, I didn't notice anyone mentioning that they built a system with 4TB drives. I saw the occasional mention of 3TB. Does anyone know for sure that the 4TB drives are supported? Also, can anyone share details of a system they built with 4TB drives? In particular, motherboards that can also handle the 4TB drives with 4 RAM slots and 6 or more SATA ports.

thanx, Vince

Saeed A Siddiki

Dabbler
i am in the same boat as we speak and am considering getting this as per the guys review on amazon -- i just order one for now just to mess with it

http://www.amazon.com/review/R1S8SD...&channel=detail-glance&nodeID=541966&store=pc

but he has a hardware RAID setup - don't know if that will make an impact

my rig so far:
Corsair Obsidian Series Black 650D Mid Tower Computer Case (CC650DW-1)
MSI Z68A-G43 (G3)- LGA1155 Intel Z68 Express Chipset ATX Desktop Motherboard Core i7/i5/i3 SATA300/600 DDR3 USB3.0 CrossFireX 7.1CH Audio
Syba SD-SATA-4P Serial ATA150 4x Ports RAID Controller Card with SIL3114 Chipset - Retail x 2
Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB kit (8GBx2) DDR3-1600 1.5V 240-Pin UDIMM BLS2CP8G3D1609DS1S00
Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold (SPG) 1200 Watts Modular Power Supply
SATA Data Cable (2pk.) x2
Syba SY-CAB40007 Molex 4 Pin to 2x 15 Pin SATA Power Cable (5.5 Inches) x 4
Western Digital 2 TB WD Green SATA III Intellipower 64 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Desktop Hard Drive x 10 well its a mixed bag really but u should really mix it up and not GET ONLY ONE KIND AND ONE Model and maker
IOGEAR Multimedia Keyboard with Laser Trackball and Scroll Wheel, 2.4GHz Wireless GKM561R (Black)
SilverStone CFP52B 5.25-Inch to 3.5-Inch Bay Converter with Hot-Swappable Function (Black)
Silverstone Tek Four-in-One SATA Power Connectors with Power Stabilizing Capacitors (CP06)
Intel Core i3-2120 Dual-Core Processor 3.3 GHz 3 MB Cache LGA 1155 - BX80623I32120
Cooler Master 4 in 3 HDD Module Device - (STB-3T4-E3-GP)

jasonlitka

Dabbler
I'm using a bunch of WD 4TB RE3 SAS drives. They work fine.

EDIT: Part number is WD4001FYYG.

Status
Not open for further replies.