Docker question in TrueNAS Scale

Hey,

I have been watching TrueNAS Scale since it got announced, because it was going to integrate the best of TrueNAS with Linux that was what I really wanted (I didn't want to run VMs). My only question right now is, will I be able to use docker without messing with the system? I saw that it is going to include K8s, but I think it is overkill for home usage, so will it be possible to use docker only?

Thanks,
MiguelNdeCarvalho

shadofall

Contributor
Hey,

I have been watching TrueNAS Scale since it got announced, because it was going to integrate the best of TrueNAS with Linux that was what I really wanted (I didn't want to run VMs). My only question right now is, will I be able to use docker without messing with the system? I saw that it is going to include K8s, but I think it is overkill for home usage, so will it be possible to use docker only?

Thanks,
MiguelNdeCarvalho
K8s maybe over kill for home use but the apps interface and particularly truecharts will make it simple enough. Using docker alone will be unsupported and prone to issues particularly during updates

ornias

Wizard
Besides preaching my own choir (thanks for that @shadofall ;-) ):

TrueNAS (SCALE) is an appliance, based on certain software packages. In this case: K8s (or more precise: K3s), which uses (in this case) docker as it's container engine. This makes sure SCALE can run docker style(!) container images.

However: it's still build around using it's own API and GUI to actually load those container images (which utilises k8s). It's not designed around you manually loading things into the underlaying docker engine.

TLDR:
"Based on Docker" does not mean "free docker support"

Hey,

Really thanks for the answers guys. I have a docker-compose.yml that I used to deploy all my stuff, so how should I avoid deploying container one by one in TrueNAS scale?

Thanks,
MiguelNdeCarvalho

ornias

Wizard
Really thanks for the answers guys. I have a docker-compose.yml that I used to deploy all my stuff,

Custom helm charts could work, while technically they are not supported too, the whole SCALE system is based on (mostly) stock helm... so stock helm charts should work.

The thing is: you should be updating your deployments at once anyway and installing is a one-time job.

j_r0dd

Contributor
Hey,

Thanks,
MiguelNdeCarvalho

I was in this boat not too long ago. I thought kubernetes was like using a chainsaw to slice a loaf of bread for my use case. Once I started digging deeper into the system and working on the charts, i have a much larger appreciation for what it offers. I really did not want to spend the time learning it tbh. My docker-compose file does work on scale 100% without any changes needed, but who knows if docker-compose will even stay on the system for release. I used Kompose to convert my docker-compose files, which gave me a good start. Now I am just fine tuning my charts manually and getting familiar with everything. I am doing everything in the cli and will see how it goes for awhile. Hopefully there will be no middleware changes that will mandate us to strictly use the gui for k3s.