Question - Docker in TrueNAS SCALE 23.10

Sara

Dabbler
Hello everyone,

I have a question about docker in TS Scale 23.10 and newer.
Currently the docker engine is disabled but present, I can activate and use it with init scripts and that's what I plan to do.

Will docker also stay in scale 23.10 and later? I would care about it because I would like to use it natively, there is no problem that it is inactive, they will take care of the startup scripts, but if the engine is changed in the new kubernetes, I am afraid that docker will also be removed and I would like it to stay.

Is there a possibility that docker will stay?

Thx :)

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Will docker also stay in scale 23.10 and later?
It has been communicated clearly that containerd will be used as the container engine and that means that docker may not be required at any point in the future.

iX has also been going through and eliminating non-used packages from the build, so I would expect at some point to see it disappear.

Is there a possibility that docker will stay?
Not a real one.

Some of us in the community are pushing strongly for this solution:

Which allows for the installation of docker (or anything else you want) in a linux systemd container, so I would say that's your best path forward if you must use docker or anything else not included in the build.

Sara

Dabbler
Thanks for the info, that's sad news :( The simplest thing would be to keep docker inactive, I don't understand why iX just can't leave docker inactive.

Linux Jails are cool, it could be general too, but apart from that, iX can leave the docker engine and let everyone use it as they see fit.

Thanks for the replies :)