Docker Containers Have No Outbound Internet Connectivity?

Kieros

Explorer
I found Home Assistant was better not in a container. Better as a VM. The reasons are shown here:

Yes well that is arguable. Have you read the post? It is actualy a discussion. And I see that alot of user run it in docker. Like me it ran in vm for a while and it is for a reason I want it in a container.

Kieros

Explorer
So your host can't see it because it's in passthrough... nothing surprising about that.
Ok I was actually surprised. I would not think that it would become invisible for the host. I removed it from vm and now the command is working.
Again thank you for pointing that out :)

Last edited:

Kieros

Explorer
the arg argument does not work to pass it through nor does the environment :S
The hostPath way? But I have no clue how I would be filling that in.

I got it working in priviledged mode but I do not like to expose the container that way.
I tested it to see if it would be accepted by the container. And it should be possible. But I would like to just have the usb passed to the container

Last edited:

sfatula

Guru
Yes well that is arguable. Have you read the post? It is actualy a discussion. And I see that alot of user run it in docker. Like me it ran in vm for a while and it is for a reason I want it in a container.
Of course I've read the post, been running Home Asistant for years and originally used docker. I use docker for everything, but not Home Assistant. This is doc from Home Assistant explaining the differences between the installation methods. The table is on the HA site under their doc, not just the post. I love docker.

I found no addons (yes it's possible to install manually in some cases), and the advantages of the HA supervisor far outweighed my desire to run everything in docker. It's just painless using HASSOS but YMMV. I use lots of addons as that's sort of the point of Home Assistant. I've probably got close to 30 addons now. There were too many hours wasted trying to get some addons to work without the easy way to install.

If you are convinced you can install all the addons using docker go for it. Total time installing say for discussion purposes my 30 addons, probably < 1 hour.

Here's a better breakdown direct from the official doc:

Note what HA themselves recommend. This is not opinion.

Last edited:

Kieros

Explorer
Ok if you have that many addons perhaps, that is the way to go but lots can work with integrations and hacs.
Most of it works with integrations and I was using pointless addons maybe 4 or 5 so I switch to docker which is alot better for resources then using the vm.