Docker Container, that has its own virtual interface, cannot access other apps installed.

AlexHuebi

Cadet
Hello!
So.. I installed a few apps in my TrueNAS Scale and I want to connect to their web interfaces via a reverse proxy.
To make my life a bit easier, I am using the Nginx Proxy Manager to take on this job.
I set the docker container to use a external interface with an static IP-Address. (Picture below). I created a new Virtual Interface to get around the limitation not beeing able to use the port 80 and 443. (Thats a problem because I want to use the PM in my local network)
1646577694265.png

And the PM does its job with services that aren't running on the TrueNAS Server itself.
But if I want to create a proxy that leads to the TN Server, I only get a 503 Error message and if I start a shell inside the docker container and use curl (as an example) to get the website, I get the error message "No route to host". (Picture below where .100 is the TN-Server and .250 is a server that I want to phase out but is still running for now)
1646578476119.png

TrueNAS and the Reverse Proxy are sharing the same physical interface. But I somehow cannot get them to communicate with each other...

So any help here is really appreciated.

parylizer

Cadet
Hey I know this an old thread but I have not been able to find an answer anywhere else. I have the exact same setup and issue and was wondering if you managed to find a solution to fix this?

Sasquatch

Explorer
Why not use traefik app from truecharts?
reverse proxy is then set up by few GUI clicks in each app
With docker containers you add "external app" and point it to your docker deployment.
you have to change TN GUI ports to something different than 80 and 443 to use traefik.

murzik

Dabbler
for container to talk to each user you need to use bridge interface. But just FYI setting default route for the container is broken. So option static route 0.0.0.0/0 will not work. You will be able to reach the container by the local network by IP you assigned to the container, but outgoing traffic will go through host IP.