Docker Container just stuck on "Connected"

Naatan

Cadet
I'm trying to follow the guide here:

https://doc.freenas.org/11/vms.html#docker-rancher-vm

I'm at the part where I connect with `cu -l`, problem is when I connect it just says "Connected" and then .. nothing. I can't enter anything (just pressing enter as instructed does nothing).

I've tried restarting both the NAS as well as the VM but no dice. Can anyone recommend how to proceed?

D

dlavigne

Were you able to resolve this? If not, anything related in /var/log/messages?

KrisBee

Wizard
@Naatan Have you already created and used other virtual machines? If not, have you checked your CPU is supported by bhyve and enabled “virtualization” in your m/board’s BIOS?

When you first create a Docker VM a compressed rancheros image file is downloaded in the background. This can fail, so check you have the image file rancheros-bhyve-v1.1.3.img.gz
in directory /mnt/<your pool name>/.bhyve_containers/iso_files

nl55873

Cadet
I am having the same problem, it seams as though the Docker VM cannot see the internet in order to download the Rancher OS. Not sure but that is sure what seems to be happening. Where you ever able to get Docker to work for you

MEGAMENE

Cadet
I'm sorry to revive this old thread, but I'm having the same exact problem and I can't find anything online.
I've recently built a NAS with some of my old PC hardware, I'm running a Asus PRIME B450M-A motherboard with a Ryzen 5 2600.
Does anyone have any ideia how to solve this problem?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Since the initial post, FreeNAS has dropped support for Docker VMs and in 11.3 will no longer offer the option.

Your time is best spent doing docker the new way.

Run an Ubuntu VM and put docker on it.

alieNus

Dabbler
Since the initial post, FreeNAS has dropped support for Docker VMs and in 11.3 will no longer offer the option.

Your time is best spent doing docker the new way.

Run an Ubuntu VM and put docker on it.

can you maybe write up how to switch from RancherOS VM to Ubuntu then in 11.2? I'm mean, I want to use 11.3 but there are no infos how to migrate this docker problem. I expected some more help form freenas team on this. They just removed this function and provided no tutorials on that.

Last edited:

KrisBee

Wizard
@alieNus Can't answer your question specifically as I've not made much use of docker. But if you've used docker-compose in conjuction with portainer that would go some way to re-creating your containers. You also need to think about how you've used persistent data - i.e. linked containers to read/write your pool data and how you'll recreate this in any new linux vm.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Isn't there a way to copy all the docker config and import to new linux vm?
Rancher server is the intended way from the Rancher side... but this would mean you have dealt with container data and mounts correctly so that Rancher can do its work of migrating your workloads for you.

If you didn't do that already and aren't running rancher server, then you'll need to do it long-hand.

Find out where each container is storing its data, use docker cp to get the data out (maybe followed by scp to push it on another docker host).

You could then use portainer as suggested by @KrisBee to copy the container configs over.

Best of luck with it.

alieNus

Dabbler
so what is the best practice for setting up docker envr on FreeNAS? I though RancherOS VM was already the best and lean. I heard some people have FreeNAS on ProxMox but this would be OS in OS, like i had with rancher. :')

sretalla