do jails consolidate files to prevent duplicates

Status
Not open for further replies.

rsqdivr

Cadet
I have searched and can't find a clear answer to my question. I notice when I ftp into my freenas build, [I have 3 mirrored zpools (zpool1, zpool2, zpool3)] if I navigate to the folders for the jail of sabnzbd (zpool2) it shows the contents and files in the downloads directory as full size. For example, one file labeled ABC.mkv is 10GB in size. My Plex plugin is supposed to move those to one of the other zpools for storage (zpool1). If I navigate to zpool1 I can see the file there as well and is the same size.

Is this truly a duplicate that is consuming 20GB of storage total or is the system somehow telling the FTP client that the single file of 10GB is "linked" between those two locations? If it's a duplicate is it ok to delete the sabnzbd/Downloads/Completed ones or will that also remove the final stored ones in zpool1? Thanks.

garm

Wizard
No clue how you set up your system, but when you assign storage to a jail there is a link created between the host folder/dataset and the jail folder. The jail folder is only a mountpoint, there is no data there. Data written to that mountpoint will be stored in the linked dataset/folder.

Jails can share content also, but I don’t think this is what you are actually asking

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The jails themselves are clones of a template, so having one or 30 empty jails is not very different.

It is important to note that they're not magic and will take up additional space for anything not part of the template.
You probably do not want to store meaningful data inside the jail, instead use an assigned dataset, as mentioned above, to store the data "on the host" (outside the jail).

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Do you have jails that share a single mounted storage point?

Status
Not open for further replies.