Stop rsync duplicating files - Shared mounts in jails

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhys_O

Dabbler
I'm sure this has probably been covered, but I'm also sure after searching that I have no idea what the technical terminology is.

PREFIX:
Basically, I want to backup my entire FreeNAS system to a local drive as a one time job before I virtualise FreeNAS on Proxmox. I thought rsync would be the best way of doing this.

ISSUE:
When using the rsync command: rsync -azv --delete --progress /mnt/Raid-Array/ /mnt/backup all runs smoothly except my shared mounts for couchpotato, sonarr etc duplicate the files eg:
/couchpotato/media/Movies/awesomefilm and /media/Movies/awesomefilm

Is there any way to stop the duplication? I've attached a screenshot of my jail storage setup in case there is something glaringly obvious.

EDITS:
OK, I'm trying exclusions using the --exclude command here is my updated rsync command that I'm running now

rsync -azv --progress --delete --exclude="/jails/*/media/*" /mnt/Raid-Array/ /mnt/backup/

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-02-10 at 12.01.23.png
    Screen Shot 2016-02-10 at 12.01.23.png
    169.3 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:

Rhys_O

Dabbler
OK, I'm making some progress and realised that there needs to be an exclusion list. It appears to need a different syntax per distro so I'm looking to find how to do it on FreeNAS. I'll keep updating if I find anything incase it helps someone in the future.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
I want to backup my entire FreeNAS system to a local drive as a one time job before I virtualise FreeNAS on Proxmox. I thought rsync would be the best way of doing this.
You'd probably be better off replicating a recursive snapshot, because this will preserve the filesystem structure, i.e. datasets.

Rhys_O

Dabbler
You're absolutely right, the recursive snapshot idea is far far better. I started again and did that.

I had some trouble with SSH keys, but sorted it by adding the replication keys into the "authorized_keys" file and using SSH Key Scan in the replication options (just in case anyone get's stuck where I did)

Status
Not open for further replies.