SOLVED DISREGARD - VGA cable nightmare

Status
Not open for further replies.

VladTepes

Patron
I have a supermicro server board and need to connect it to to a monitor. Easy yeah? Read on MacDuff.

So the supermicro has a MALE (yep, male) plug in the back. And I managed to find a monitor which still had VGA input. So far so good ok.

To give the short version - I finally found a VGA cable with female plug at one end and male at the other. Perfect right?

Well, as it happens, NO.

Plugged into monitor yep no problem. So now I have a cable with a female end, and amale plug on the computer... should be easy as right? Nah.

This is the end of the type of cable I was using for the PC.
VGA_connector_PNr%25C2%25B00052.jpg

and as it turns out this is the plug on the PC....

Weird plug.png

**** supermicro what WERE you thinking ?!

How the **** was I to know there are two (or more) types of VGA cables?

So having done some research it appears that the socket on the monitor is the common type DE-15 (and in that case a female socket) whereas the socket on this bloody computer is a DE-9 and a MALE one at that.

So what I apparently need is... A cable with a female DE-9 plug at one end and either a MALE DE-15 plug (or a male DVI plug) at the other.

If anyone can PLEASE tell me how I can possibly sort this out I'd REALLY appreciate because I'm confused as all heck at the moment....

There must be some other Supermicro owners out there who have had this problem?

Mod note:

The advice given in this post cannot end well and may seriously damage your hardware.

Do not attempt to hack together a cable to connect an RS-232 port to a VGA device. Not only will you not accomplish anything useful, you may seriously damage both devices.

Last edited by a moderator:

VladTepes

Patron
Aw bugger - never mind me I'm a complete tool.

I'd explain but it's WAY too embarrassing... :oops:

Sorted now :)

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
If this question comes up again...

upload_2018-7-28_11-28-43.png

You were looking at the COM port which is a serial data port, when you should have been looking at the VGA port. Simple confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.