Noisy boot drives (SSD)

Antoshka

Dabbler
Hello,

I'm not sure that it's an appropriate question for this forum, but I'd like to post it.
At the moment I'm trying to finish my NAS. I have the following configuration:
1) Case: Fractal Design Node 804
2) Motherboard: Supermicro X10SLL-F
3) CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1271 v3
4) CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster V4 GTS (from old PC)
5) RAM: 8 Gb ECC UDIMM 1600mhz x4 = 32 Gb
5) Power Supply: Corsair CX450
6) SAS HBA: LSI 9207-8i PCI-E 3.0
7) SAS Cable: Mini SAS 36Pin (SFF-8087) Male to 4 SATA 7Pin Female Cable x2
8) SATA Power Cables (as a workaround for 3.3V SATA drives): 3-Pack 4 Pin Molex to Dual SATA Power Y-Cable
9) SSD OS: Intel DC S3700 100Gb x 2 (ebay)
10) SSD L2ARC: Intel DC S3700 400GB
11) SSD VM/Jail: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB (from old PC)
12) HDD Storage: Couple of WD RED drives (2x12Tb, 1x8Tb - from my current NAS and External drive)

And I got an issue that SSD Boot devices "Intel DC S3700 100Gb" x 2 (ebay) are squeaking / buzzing. They aren't super loud, but it's a high-pitch squeaking and buzzing sounds. I know that SSD doesn't have any moving parts, so theoretically they should be silent.
Does anyone faced this issue? Do you have any solution? Is it a common issue for this model (I didn't find any info, so it makes me think that it's some defect, especially because they are used)?

Thank you.

Regards,
Anton

Antoshka

Dabbler
I'd like to add one note here, only one from two devices produces a noise. Maybe it's really some defect...

Apollo

Wizard
First thing that comes to mind would be noise generated by the ceramic capacitors and/or inductors.
A failing or failed switching power supply (switching regulator). A shorted ceramic capacitor would cause inductor to saturate.
If that's the case it could be manufacturing defect, a failed part or a bad design.

Antoshka

Dabbler
Thank you for the information.

Just to summarize:
1) Only one Intel DC S3700 100Gb makes a noise (another Intel DC S3700 100Gb and Intel DC S3700 400Gb are perfect).
2) I tried to connect power through SATA power and through Molex->SATA power adaptor, noise is presented in both options, SATA data cable wasn't connected.
3) I connected this drive through extrenal box (2.5" box with USB output), noise is much much lower, it's possible to hear it only from close distance.

I'm going to write to seller, let's see what is possible to do.

Thanks.